2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
stock is 7mm, optional is 8mm but i don't think larger wire does anything unless you combine it with a real hot coil, and all that turns into a big waste of money since a spark is still a spark and the gasoline doesn't really care how hot it is.
Yeah? That's really very interesting.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe it. it's just like a 1/2 inch water hose vs a 1 inch water hose. 1 inch will obviously allow more flow than the 1/2 inch no matter how much is pumped into it.

Here's the thing: it's not all about wire size. It's also about the conductor. I always use the non-metallic IRSI or whatever it is called conductor. That's what's in these racing grade wires. Works sooo much better than a metal based conductor.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i will say this one more time. 8mm refers to the thickness of the insulation and has nothing to do with how much it will "flow". 7mm and 8mm of the same brand and materials will produce the same spark. However the the 8mm will isolate that spark better and allow less interference. So if it is performance you are looking for then dont buy strictly based on the thickness, look at all the other properties such as conductor core, thickness of actuall wire not insulation, and resistance.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
ok i will say this one more time. 8mm refers to the thickness of the insulation and has nothing to do with how much it will "flow". 7mm and 8mm of the same brand and materials will produce the same spark. However the the 8mm will isolate that spark better and allow less interference. So if it is performance you are looking for then dont buy strictly based on the thickness, look at all the other properties such as conductor core, thickness of actuall wire not insulation, and resistance.
Hence my Firecore 50 recommendation.

http://www.firecore50.com/

Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Yah I know about it being insulator thickness. It has a 8.5MM thickness because it has more insulation but it also has a larger core, at least in the case of this particular set I got.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires