2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

And the build begins, SEMA 13 or bust!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Awesome looking truck and great build thread. Will enjoy watching this truck morph into the drawings. I'm digging the wheels and the engine. Can you offer up some more info on what all has been done to and is going to happen to the engine. What are you doing to the frame for the rear axle? The custom a-arms for the front are they something anyone here could do?

Keep the pictures coming please.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be a custom chassis with a silverado front suspension. Well styled after a silverado, extended tubular A arms, raised and relocated upper A arm mount, stock silverado spindles since I found someone who made adapters to run a 15" Baer rotors and a 6 piston z06 calipers. I also prefer the look of 6 spoke wheels which only come if 6 lug. Rear axle is a narrowed ford 9" (narrowed 8 inches per side) Eaton posi, and 4.56 gears. Moser 31 spline shafts of course. 15" rear rotors and 6 piston calipers as well. Rear suspension will/should consist of a triangulated 4 link with the bag mounted on the lower bar. Thinking about running King shocks due to the travel and infinite adjustability. Motor consists of a stock 318 block just bored out and decked. K1 H beam rods and stroker crank. Diamond pistons set for 10.9:1@65. Heads are a set of Indy heads ported and assembled by IMM racing engines. Induction will be handled by a Indy mod man intake topped off with a F&B 6 pack. Transmission will be mostly stock aside from a firmed up shift kit and 2800 stall. Cam has yet to be chosen at this time. As far as the interior goes ot will be 100% hand built. Still waiting on my interior guy to do a few sketches for me but basically when I drop it off all he wants in it are pedals and a steering column.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm.... Makes me want to get back out to the garage want get back to work on my 54!

Ford 9" is a good choice. Thinking of doing same thing with 4 link, but a C4 front susp.

Keep the photos coming!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

Alot of guys seem to be running the c6 aluminum arms on the older hotrod. But I needed longer arms to get the lift so I can turn and needed the extra room that the truck arms provide for the bags.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by SvrdRam
Alot of guys seem to be running the c6 aluminum arms on the older hotrod. But I needed longer arms to get the lift so I can turn and needed the extra room that the truck arms provide for the bags.

So is the Silverado the same as the C6? C4 seems to be a good fit for the 54, and less expensive that the C6, but I can see where it may be a better fit for a Ram. My problem is no one makes a kit for the 54, and the 55's won't fit. Not a big problem, just more fab work.

Why did you have to cut 8" off each end of rear diff or did I read that wrong?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

I never compared the silverado suspension to any of the vette stuff to be honest. Oh and the reason is that my rear wheels are 24x15s with a 11" lip on 405/25r24s ;-)

Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by SvrdRam
I never compared the silverado suspension to any of the vette stuff to be honest. Oh and the reason is that my rear wheels are 24x15s with a 11" lip on 405/25r24s ;-)

Makes sense. I see that now after going back and looking at photos.

Good luck with the build. Keep us posted! I like seeing builds (and stealing ideas ).

Quick Reply: And the build begins, SEMA 13 or bust!