2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake light on after new rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light on after new rear brakes

My pass side wheel cylinder started leaking the other day and leaked all the fluid out of the master. I put new shoes, springs, and wheel cylinders in today. Bled brakes. I tried letting the brakes self adjust by backing up and hitting the brakes and emergency brake but no luck. Took the drums off and manually adjusted them. Now the parking brake works as it should and brakes seem to be working fine. I tried adjusting the parking brake cable as I read on here that can cause the brake light to stay on but that didn't turn it off. Also disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes but it's still on. Any ideas how to get the light to turn off?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Probably the proportioning valve is out of position.... Grab a friend, have friend pump up the brakes, and hold the pedal down. Crack open one of the FRONT bleeders. See if the light goes off. If it doesn't, try one of the rears.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

after bleeding - the ABS light was on.... a google search said to crank the truck, then press and hold the brake pedal for 10 seconds to allow the proportioning valve to recenter. this worked for me.

for the red BRAKE light, your parking brake cable might be too tight.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 01-20-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I think the old girl just wanted to go to the store lol. Drove to Lowe's and when I started it to leave the brake light wasn't on. The flashing ABS light stays on so that's normal lol. I found out when I got the tuner from Hemifever that the computer was out of a different truck so I guess that's why it stays on. I'll go have it flashed at the dealer one of these days...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Set your tuner back to stock before you have the PCM reflashed. I do believe they are vin locked. If you change the vin, your tuner may stop working.

Quick Reply: brake light on after new rear brakes