2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans... rebuild or something else

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
GTXtreme19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans... rebuild or something else

Hi fellas, idk if i ever put it in my sig but I got a 99 sport 4x4 with ~208k on the clock. 202k I rebuilt the engine after only about a month owning it, added a hughes airgap, mopar heads (supposedly toughened in certain areas?) pacesetter long tubes, jegs offroad y-pipe, and jegs 3" to dual 2.5" exhaust, along with the new rings, bearings,etc...

anyway after the rebuild I noticed the trans didnt seem to like it, when taking off the truck lags a bit, it goes but not with the kind of power it should then all of the sudden it engages and goes. When im really hogging on it it doesnt seem to want to shift into third until i lift off the gas. If im babying it it seems to do fine shifting but still "lags" from stops.

now with over 200k on the odometer i realize its probably due for a rebuild, which i think i can do myself with all the guidance here and on pavementsuck and whichever jeep forum i was on. I dont wanna do anything too drastic im thinking a PATC rebuild kit, with the steel front planet, and trans-go kit. I do very little wheeling, i will occasionally go play in the mud, is there any other parts i should consider? I will be adding HS 1.7 rockers soon and sct tuner but thats pretty much the extent of mods to engine. Ill probably never go taller than a 33" tire either.

thanks,
Mike

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check valve delete, there's a thread somewhere in the DIY/FAQ Section. Maybe a better trans cooler to keep it all nice and cool.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTXtreme19
Hi fellas, idk if i ever put it in my sig but I got a 99 sport 4x4 with ~208k on the clock. 202k I rebuilt the engine after only about a month owning it, added a hughes airgap, mopar heads (supposedly toughened in certain areas?) pacesetter long tubes, jegs offroad y-pipe, and jegs 3" to dual 2.5" exhaust, along with the new rings, bearings,etc...

anyway after the rebuild I noticed the trans didnt seem to like it, when taking off the truck lags a bit, it goes but not with the kind of power it should then all of the sudden it engages and goes. When im really hogging on it it doesnt seem to want to shift into third until i lift off the gas. If im babying it it seems to do fine shifting but still "lags" from stops.

now with over 200k on the odometer i realize its probably due for a rebuild, which i think i can do myself with all the guidance here and on pavementsuck and whichever jeep forum i was on. I dont wanna do anything too drastic im thinking a PATC rebuild kit, with the steel front planet, and trans-go kit. I do very little wheeling, i will occasionally go play in the mud, is there any other parts i should consider? I will be adding HS 1.7 rockers soon and sct tuner but thats pretty much the extent of mods to engine. Ill probably never go taller than a 33" tire either.

thanks,
Mike

Is the tranny slipping? And steel front planet - No such animal. Planetary set is at rear of main housing just before tailshaft extension.

If it is not slipping, I would advise checking the TV cable adjustment. Check fluid level and see if fluid smells burned.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Could drop the pan, and have a look, see what things are like. Might be as simple as cleaning/replacing the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid. (band adjustment probably wouldn't hurt either)

These transmissions are notorious for not wanting to shift at WOT.... pressure sensor gets saturated, and then starts lying to the PCM.....

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
GTXtreme19
Rookie

Fluid seems fine, I added a good bit though during the motor rebuild due to pulling the radiator and torque converter, I lost a right good bit. I have a new filter/gasket kit and a case of atx+4 however it got to be cold quicker than I anticipated, same reason I haven't don't the ball joints or wheel u-joints yet.

As far as the steel front planetary I was just going by what I've read, something about the stock unit being plastic?!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
gdstock
Legend

The accumulator pistons are plastic and can be upgraded to aluminum, but planets are steel.

Go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the service manual. Trans section includes great troubleshooting and overhaul info.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

There is an upgrade for the planets, 5 or 6 pinion planet gears... stock I think is 4....

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
GTXtreme19
Rookie

Sorry I fellas I had some information mixed up, I've read so many posts lately that its turning into a jumble. this is what I read, seems like that build should hold up to anything I'm going to throw at it.

Heyyou, you're from Adrian? That's very close to me, matter of fact I've been craving checkers.

Last edited by GTXtreme19; 01-28-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

I upgraded mine to a six gear planet set as well as added additional steels and frictions in direct clutch.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
GTXtreme19
Rookie

I planed on upgrading to the 5 pinion but only because I couldn't find a 4 pinion steel replacement, then again I didn't look very hard. Like I said though I won't be stressing this thing very much.

Quick Reply: trans... rebuild or something else