2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I swap transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I swap transfer cases?

My 1998 Durango has a Full Time 4 High option that allows me to drive over dry and slippery surfaces, and at high speeds. Shift on the fly as well.

My 1998 Ram is more meager. I know it's a simpler unit for slippery conditions only and that's fine...but if I were to find the same transfer case from my Durango...how simple would it be to swap them out?

The floor shift looks like it would come through in the same place. The transmission and output shaft 'should' be the same. I know the dash indicator lights would be different and that's okay as long as it didn't hurt operation. Would the vacuum operation of the front axle change and how could I address that issue?

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I think the durango uses the 242D, which should, theoretically, bolt right in. There might be some issues with input/output.... but, I don't think input will be the problem, as the Durango uses the same trans as the truck.... Output may or may not be a problem. Something else to consider would be overall length. Might have to shorten the rear driveshaft. This is something I had considered as well, as I LIKE AWD.... but, the 242 is weaker than my 241.... so, open to debate there.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I dont understand the point?? I would think trying to get the case to work would be more hassle than what its worth.. Also like heyyou said the driveshaft might need some modding..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I guess I dont understand the point?? I would think trying to get the case to work would be more hassle than what its worth.. Also like heyyou said the driveshaft might need some modding..
I have an all wheel drive van, and it is pretty much unstoppable in snow and ice, and it doesn't care if you drive it on dry pavement either. The 242 case offers that option on vehicles it is installed in, and also can lock front and rear together, (4wd.) or just rear wheel drive.

For those times when it is slick, but patchy, and you don't wanna lock in to 4wd, the option for the AWD is nice.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the whole AWD is fun.. I just dont think its worth trying to put into a ram.. Even when you have another vehicle that is AWD already.. Either way it would be a somewhat more complicated swap then it seems.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I understand the whole AWD is fun.. I just dont think its worth trying to put into a ram.. Even when you have another vehicle that is AWD already.. Either way it would be a somewhat more complicated swap then it seems.
Actually, I think it would be fairly easy. T-case will bolt right up, shifter should be pretty much the same, just a bit longer travel. Only complication I think would be driveshafts..... not sure if the vacuum switch is there on the 242 either... but, posi-lok would fix that.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a guy that swapped it in awhile back. im surprised heyyou didnt remember...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...in-98-ram.html

Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
there is a guy that swapped it in awhile back. im surprised heyyou didnt remember...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...in-98-ram.html
Thank You! I had forgotten all about that thread...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Thank You! I had forgotten all about that thread...
no problem! i think we actually have the 242 in our grand cherokee, but its bolted to a 42re. 4hi fulltime is great, but 4hi part time is kinda crappy. i think there is something wrong with it.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think the durango uses the 242D, which should, theoretically, bolt right in. There might be some issues with input/output.... but, I don't think input will be the problem, as the Durango uses the same trans as the truck.... Output may or may not be a problem. Something else to consider would be overall length. Might have to shorten the rear driveshaft. This is something I had considered as well, as I LIKE AWD.... but, the 242 is weaker than my 241.... so, open to debate there.

It might technically be weaker than the stock one in my Ram, but I have been using the Durango in all sorts of horrible weather and driving conditions and to be perfectly honest I haven't exactly been easy on it. It's not only never broken or let me down...it's also never been stuck. Believe me...I've tried a few times, having too much fun in big open parking lots full of fresh snow and drifts.

That being said, as to why I would do it to my Ram when my Durango has AWD capability...lately I have been daily driving my Ram while my Durango is down with an exhaust issue. We've had snow and ice a few times and normally I would put my Durango in Full Time 4 and drive around no matter what. I put the Ram in 4 High, and anytime I get a dry patch and the wheels are turning they start jumping and binding when turning. They do NOT like dry surfaces in 4 High.

I can hardly tell in the Durango...if it's even in Full Time 4...except that I have amazing traction. I just want that same feeling of AWD when I want it in the Ram...and it sounds very doable this spring. I may pick up a transfer case and save it for a weekend project.

Quick Reply: Can I swap transfer cases?