2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I swap transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
petea216
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you're confusing AWD with A4WD. An AWD system uses a system of three differentials. One in the front, rear and middle to allow each wheel to spin independently of each other while still receiving drive. 4WD uses only two not allowing the front and rear axle to spin independently of each other which is why you can't use it on dry surfaces. A4WD is a normal transfer case equipped with a mechanism that utilizes the "shift on the fly" to engage the 4wd when the computer detects wheel slip and disengages it when it not needed so you can seamlessly go through heavy snow and right into dry pavement. Chevy trucks have had it for about a decade now. The lighter duty GM SUV's since the late '90s. A plow truck at work has it and it works great. You don't even notice the transition.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by petea216
Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you're confusing AWD with A4WD. An AWD system uses a system of three differentials. One in the front, rear and middle to allow each wheel to spin independently of each other while still receiving drive. 4WD uses only two not allowing the front and rear axle to spin independently of each other which is why you can't use it on dry surfaces. A4WD is a normal transfer case equipped with a mechanism that utilizes the "shift on the fly" to engage the 4wd when the computer detects wheel slip and disengages it when it not needed so you can seamlessly go through heavy snow and right into dry pavement. Chevy trucks have had it for about a decade now. The lighter duty GM SUV's since the late '90s. A plow truck at work has it and it works great. You don't even notice the transition.

That's called Part Time 4 High. The Durango has that option too. I don't like it because I can feel it shifting in and out more than I am comfortable with as I cross from dry to slippery...not to mention by the time it detects a slipping wheel and engages the system, I'm already back on dry surfaces.

The Full Time 4 High is similar, but it stays in 4 no matter what surface you are on, essentially giving you AWD. The issue with being in 4 on dry surfaces so much a difference of front to rear, it's side to side as I understand it, and for whatever reason, the Full Time 4 High is literally capable of year round use at any speed.

I know the 4 Low is not really part of this discussion, but I just honestly almost never use it. Once I think I used it to get over a rough gravely hill while pulling a 1984 Ramcharger on a car hauler trailer. It was in a field at the bottom of a hill. I got it up on the trailer, and had to drive up the hill which was not paved or maintained. In 2 High, I was spinning a single wheel constantly. 4 High had similar results. 4 Low handled the hill with ease and it pulled up the hill with little to no effort.

The AWD aspect of the Full Time 4 High is what I want in the Ram. If I so choose, I want to be able to engage it and leave it engaged until the ice and snow melts away from house / work / journey paths. If that takes months...so be it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM
petea216
Professional

I still have so much to learn about Chrysler products... So how does that work then? Is there a differential or a clutch in the transfer case?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by petea216
I still have so much to learn about Chrysler products... So how does that work then? Is there a differential or a clutch in the transfer case?
In "full time" 4wd (AWD basically) there is indeed a 'differential' in the t-case. It gets locked when in "part time" 4wd.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
petea216
Professional

Ahhh, now it makes sense to me! Thanks! The only AWD systems I have any sort of familiarity with are those that come in Audi's. Those are seriously over-engineered!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Sooper
Captain

Okay so here's my list so far:

1998 Dodge Durango NV242
1994 Ford Explorer Front Drive Shaft

Right now I am leaning towards the 'clip' method of keeping the front axle engaged at all times. I can't imagine it would incur more wear faster and it's easier I think that trying to deal with a vacuum system.

That should get the truck drivable. After that I would have to deal with indicators if I so choose.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

just weld the cad in the locked position then its all up to the tcase to do the shifting

Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
just weld the cad in the locked position then its all up to the tcase to do the shifting

I removed the C-clip and slid the fork over, and reinstalled the C-clip, trapping the fork in the engaged position. It can't move with or without vacuum, and was a very easy solution.

Here is the thread I just posted about the swap:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-to-np242.html

Quick Reply: Can I swap transfer cases?