2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back brake locking up

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
ROWDYROB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back brake locking up

Hey---have a 97 dodge ram 1500 ss/t----the rear wheel on drivers side has started locking up when braking and will sometimes skid across road,i have checked fluid leaking,wheel cylinders,etc---all seem to be fine----i even took it to mechanic 3 times and he cant figure it out.I mentioned it possibly being a bad hose and he said no that both sides would do it if that were so----he mentioned it possibly being the proportioning valve if i remember correct-------any suggestions anyone????----I am at a loss on this and cant even get mechanic to fix it---lol----thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Were the brakes recently replaced? If so, then the leading and trailing shoes could be reversed, which can cause locking.

As far as one collapsed hose causing both wheels to lock -- I don't believe so. Removing and inspecting the hose will take a bit of time in the day, but it's an inexpensive procedure versus swapping parts based on someone's best guess.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Were the brakes recently replaced? If so, then the leading and trailing shoes could be reversed, which can cause locking.

As far as one collapsed hose causing both wheels to lock -- I don't believe so. Removing and inspecting the hose will take a bit of time in the day, but it's an inexpensive procedure versus swapping parts based on someone's best guess.
This. Short shoe goes toward the front.

Both rear brakes are fed from the same soft line. I don't think that's gonna be the problem.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

Thanks for replies--the shoes are old,i replaced them a long time ago and never had any issues with them,they are getting about ready to be replaced again but wanted to figure out this issue before i did---but the shoes being on wrong is no issue,the main hose seems to go into a factory crimped box and them comes out 2 ways to factory crimped lines---thats why i have not replaced yet---was not sure if i had to buy the whole assembly or what???---thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This. Short shoe goes toward the front.

Both rear brakes are fed from the same soft line. I don't think that's gonna be the problem.
Thats basically what i was saying in last statement---before i seen your comment i quess,but they also have those factory crimped lines like i was saying which you would have to replace whole assembly i quess

Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think your lines are the issue. If your shoes are worn, I would guess they are riveted..... and it will give you the symptoms you describe.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

I don't think your lines are the issue. If your shoes are worn, I would guess they are riveted..... and it will give you the symptoms you describe.
I should have specified----they are not that worn---pretty sure it has nothing to do with shoes,i have done had drum off several time looking and shop even said that shoes still looked good even though i told them to just replace them----trust me its a head scratcher---shop wont even call me back after having it up there 3 times,they have yet to charge me but cant seem to figure it out---they said they would look for a proportion box,which they say is the only thing they can think it may be but have never called me back---i just need this thing fixed-----thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Proportioning valve will effect both rears equally as well. have you looked at the side that ISN'T locking up? Any evidence of fluid leaks over there?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

Proportioning valve will effect both rears equally as well. have you looked at the side that ISN'T locking up? Any evidence of fluid leaks over there?
yes---i have and nothing ,could wheel cylinder be sticking??---at complete loss---thanks

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geees. You are shooting down everything suggested without looking.. Pull the drums and look at it. Replace worn parts. That should fix it. Replace cylinders if in doubt. they are pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Back brake locking up