2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back brake locking up

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 87 did that when new.
It was the passenger side though.
Only did it under fairly hard braking.
When I finally replaced the rear brakes it was ok from then on.
Never did figure what was causing it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ROWDYROB
I should have specified----they are not that worn---pretty sure it has nothing to do with shoes,i have done had drum off several time looking and shop even said that shoes still looked good even though i told them to just replace them----trust me its a head scratcher---shop wont even call me back after having it up there 3 times,they have yet to charge me but cant seem to figure it out---they said they would look for a proportion box,which they say is the only thing they can think it may be but have never called me back---i just need this thing fixed-----thanks

You may have had the drums off several times, but did you spend the time to study the arrangement of the shoes?

Back in high school (1987), the car I drove had a problem with the left rear locking up when the brake was applied, which caused the car's *** end to kick to the right. My dad knew hew installed the shoes wrong and my mother got on him about it when I told her how I almost clipped someone while stopping at an intersection.

Originally Posted by charlie1935
My 87 did that when new.
It was the passenger side though.
Only did it under fairly hard braking.
When I finally replaced the rear brakes it was ok from then on.
Never did figure what was causing it.
Again, I bet it was the shoes. Sometimes the people at the factory make a mistake.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 AM
ROWDYROB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Geees. You are shooting down everything suggested without looking.. Pull the drums and look at it. Replace worn parts. That should fix it. Replace cylinders if in doubt. they are pretty cheap.
Dude---i'm not shooting down anything,these things have all been looked at several time---even left it with mechanic on 3 differant occasions were they were driving around for days and pulling drums and trying to figure it out when ever it would do it and they all also still could come up with nothing------i came here looking for a possible answer to something that has not been checked yet,yes i can start changing parts and hope i finally hit on something that stops it but that is the reason i came here to try and avoid that---lol.I am trying not to brake so hard right now and it dont do it but will about slide u off the seat it comes to such a sudden stop.Believe it or not when i had my trailer hooked up the other day it didnt seem to be doing it??-----worse case,i will change the brake pads as it is close to needing it anyway and maybe go ahead and change the cylinders and see what happens from there--------thanks for replies

Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

Thanks for replies vwanddodge-------like the Lita Ford quote--good song

Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance your drum is slightly out of round? Warped? Does it happen only on wet/slick surface or dry as well?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
clipper77
Veteran

I had the same thing happen on my 2500.

Turned out to be the wheel cylinder.

Replaced it and all was good.

Just a thought...

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I once had a tire shop do my rear drums etc... and they put the primary shoes on one side and both secondary on the other drum. They looked at it three times and couldn't figure out the grinding and every once in awhile there would be slight tug and squeal at highway speed. The mechanic at a different tire shop spotted it when was getting new tires put on.

Last edited by ReadRam; 02-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just though of another cause. Check the parking break cable. If the cable is out of adjustment it can cause the shoes to be spread apart more than those on the opposite side.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
ROWDYROB
Amateur

soon as i get a chance ,i am gonna change shoes and cylinders and see if that solves it----thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: Back brake locking up