2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Common Dodge issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 AM
smokinbutnotbroken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it definatley scared me to the point of leaving it at my friends house and catching a ride to and from work the past 2 weeks and 2 more to come because I have to wait til payroll to pick up the new to axle assembly with 60, 000 miles I have lined up. I and other drivers on the road are very lucky the axle shaft didn't fail when I was cruising at 60mph (fastest I dare go since the hood latch failed causing the hood to fly towards my face going 45, now bunjee corded shut x/ )

Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinbutnotbroken
it definatley scared me to the point of leaving it at my friends house and catching a ride to and from work the past 2 weeks and 2 more to come because I have to wait til payroll to pick up the new to axle assembly with 60, 000 miles I have lined up. I and other drivers on the road are very lucky the axle shaft didn't fail when I was cruising at 60mph (fastest I dare go since the hood latch failed causing the hood to fly towards my face going 45, now bunjee corded shut x/ )
Depending on what year your truck is (please add all the info about your truck to your sig and profile please) there is a recall for the hood latch.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ on your rear axle replacement, look at the rear axle yoke where the drive shaft attaches on your 97. its likely attached with 2 U-bolts around the u-joint caps, bolted to a pinion yoke that receives the cups.

beware that the 2000 Durango "might" be the same, or it "might" have a round, bolt on flange that will not correctly receive your u-joint.

also - check the top of your pumpkin. do you have a "rear ABS speed sensor". if so, your replacement rear end must also have this, or else your abs and speedometer and cruise control will not work.

and finally, note that your 97 has rear drum brakes. the durango might be rear disk, which is nice, but it may or may not fit your truck's 15 or 16 inch rims.

if you replace it with anything other than the junk yard interchange years, you're on your own for all these variables.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How in HELL do you split an axle tube? I have never seen that happen on a basically stock vehicle..... Pics?
i've never seen it either, but i suspect you put about 2-1/2 tons of rock or wet sand in the back. i'm surprised it didn't split all the way out and go to the ground. i guess that's Ram Tough. lol.

Quick Reply: Common Dodge issues?