2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Common Dodge issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
smokinbutnotbroken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well everyone i have gotten myself into way more than i want to with this old thing, but i have to.. lol. popped the air cleaner to discover quite a bit of oil seepage from that plenum plate, went to do a tune up to found out that the one tool my buddy didnt have in his garage was a da** thin wall socket to pull the plugs so i got mad and decided ill do the plate, all new top end and exhaust manifold gaskets, and the tune up all next payday weekend. this weekend i will be hunting down wire gremmlins : ( the previous owner has 2 switches installed instead of the ignition unit ( one mimics accesory and the other would be the next click or "ignition" to start it ) on my way to work the other day it started shorting out when i was braking for a stop sign going downhill not liking the idea that this thing can catch fire at any moment... does anyone know what the black and white wire in the harness running from the steering wheel column down to under dash? thats the one that almost has no good shielding left on it and burned the **** out my hand when i was yanking it to stop it from arcing..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Where does the wire come from/go to? (either bit of information will help find it.)

Put your truck info in your sig as well please, so we don't have to go digging for it.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 AM
smokinbutnotbroken

well Ive sorted out a few issues, it no longer catches fire chased the wire all the way down the steering column and into the junction box deal dodge put by your left foot under the dash found it must have been rubbing somewhere under the steering column and finally wore through the insulation and shorted out. snipped the wire threw in a new one and were gtg there.. now to the scary part i went to do the rear brakes on it two weeks ago popped the left tire off (with lots of heavy blows from a BFH) went to the other side pulled the lugs off went to wiggle the tire off and i literally was moving the axle shaft (and tire) 1 inch in all directions : ( got it off got to inspecting after i pulled the drum off low and behold the axle tube was split on the top THAT would describe my vibrations!! sooo ive been doing some reading and was hoping someone could confirm that a 2000 Durango rear axle will bolt right up or not? i know i have to match up the 9.25 and 3.55 gear ratio i have in my truck now, but will my driveshaft bolt right to it? and if not what options do i have for junkyard hunting?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rear out of just about any 2nd gen half-ton truck should bolt right in.

How in HELL do you split an axle tube? I have never seen that happen on a basically stock vehicle..... Pics?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 AM
smokinbutnotbroken

I cant get my pictures off my phone to the computer unfortunatley.. My guess is it has been split long before i recieved delivery, The split starts from behind the drum brake gaurd and goes towards the pumpkin about 2 to 3 inches directly on the top of the axle tube.

Still couldnt figure out how to post the pic directly here but your welcome to view it via facebook heeere > https://www.facebook.com/stonebone?r...type=1&theater

Last edited by smokinbutnotbroken; 04-14-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: i added the link by copy and pasting the first time, its now inserted using the insert hyperlink tab at the top.Does it work?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Says content unavailable

Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM
smokinbutnotbroken

I found the conveniently located "photos" tab at the top of the website and it says i dont have permission to access it.. im guessing its because of my low post count?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:47 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of phone do you have? If it's an Android or iCrap you can download the photobucket app and upload, then copy and paste the img link to the thread....

Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM
smokinbutnotbroken

I have the Samsung S3 no other touch phones impressed me enough for speed or durability.. buuut here is my attempt at the photobucket link

Last edited by HeyYou; 04-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow. That is insane....... Edited your post to show the pic.

Quick Reply: Common Dodge issues?