2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L intermitent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
ExtremeRedRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L intermitent starting problem

I am checking forums to see if anyone knows or has seen this problem before. I own a 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 with a 5.9L in it, it has about 130k on it now and have no major problems with it yet till now. About a week ago i went to go to work in the morning and i had dome lights and everything but when i went to start it i had nothing no click just dead, so i thought it was the battery then i remembered that the battery is less than a yr old and i know there's enough cranking amps and cca. So i let it sit for 5 mins and tried it again and all it would do is crank so i got out and banged on the gas tank four times and still just cranking. then i put my foot to the floor and it would fire and then start and run fine but when i took my foot off the gas it would die any thoughts? The plugs are good cap is good wires are good rotor is good, and when it did start the radio was all out of wack like the battery was disconnected. i checked fuel pressure and it reads 48psi so the fuel pump is good, no codes no stored codes. the timing chain is less than a yr old also and i have plenty of spark. then yesterday the locks and everything was flipping out and it wouldn't start then it finally did. do i have a short some where???? Now the truck is normal again and i dont know what to do everytime i tear into it to find something wrong it doesnt act up so i dont know where to begin? any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Clean your batter terminals, and all the main connections, including grounds.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
ExtremeRedRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean your batter terminals, and all the main connections, including grounds.
Thx ill try that and see where that gets me

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L intermitent starting problem