2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

knocking from Dr side axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking from Dr side axle

So the other day my front drivers side of axle started sounding like rusty bed springs bouncing up&down then tonite it started making a knockng sound.I don't know if you've ever had a engine throw a rod but that's what it sounds like just from the drivers side axle.I'm guessing its the ujoint if I grab it it moves just a hair.As the pass side moves none.Any ideas?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Bull Bainter

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
so the other day my front drivers side of axle started sounding like rusty bed springs bouncing up&down then tonite it started making a knockng sound.i don't know if you've ever had a engine throw a rod but that's what it sounds like just from the drivers side axle.i'm guessing its the ujoint if i grab it it moves just a hair.as the pass side moves none.any ideas?
i think you've nailed the problem. This last jan i was involved in rebuilding 4x4 front axles ( five of them) every one of them experienced "clunking", squeeking, and vibration while in four-wheel drive.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

This does it while in 2wd I haven't drove in 4x4 to see if it does it,only drove a few inches to 4x to make sure it was engaging.I'm also wondering if it could possibly br the driveshaft.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

front axle turns even in 2wd (drive shaft does not unless CAD is stuck in engaged position).

when twisting the u-joint, there should be zero movement. any movement at all indicates bad.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Check the lower shock bushings as well.

Quick Reply: knocking from Dr side axle