2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think my Ram is down for the count...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default I think my Ram is down for the count...

well had a big weekend planned with ice fishing derbys going on....was supposed to be out the today....but of course something has happened to my RAM and hopefully you guys can shed some light because i think she may be down for good...

I was comming off the highway, and it was running fine....turned off o/d then when i accelerated from the stop at the exit, it revved to about 4 grand then there was a pretty hard shift into second, and second just revved up would not shift into third, but with both gears theres was no slippage, still was driving strong....then i came to the next stop, which is about 1/4 mile from my house. when i took off she only had 1st gear, wouldnt shift....

I got home and checked my tranny fluid, it is still full, clean, and doesnt have any signs of a burnt smell....fluid/filter is about 5K miles old. reverse still works as it should, still goes into gear, 4x4 still works, hitting the o/d switch on and off still works (well the light still goes off and on when pushing button....) I dont know if this will make a difference, but the back of my truck is loaded with my 600 lb. snowmobile and about 300lbs of gear for fishing....needless to say truck has alot of extra weight...i havent driven it since in got it home when it wasnt comming out of first.

When i shift into reverse it goes smooth and can feel the torque converter locking it in as it should....only had that one hard shift then there was nothing..

And also maybe this can help identify my problem....

a few weeks ago i was having a problem when i couldnt push the gas pedal more then halfway down. would still go through all gears fine just couldnt push the pedal down all the way....i brought it to my buddy who works at a dodge dealership as a mechanic, and he messed around with my "kickdown cable" he was messing with it near the transmission, didnt touch the cables in engine bay, but he said the cable was binding, he was moving it by hand, and got it to free up, and ive had a normal gas pedal ever since....

now could my kickdown cable be broken? has this happened to anyone? would it cause my current problem? i havent checked myself because its very very windy and we are getting some snow right now, so its not the best time to be messing with my truck....

any help would be great, because if tranny is smoked, well then i guess Big Black is going to have to be retired, and since shes an organ donor all of her parts will go out to the other needy 2nd gen rams....but im hoping to avoid this....

Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since it all happened so suddenly, i'd start with a check/readjustment of the TV cable. there's a link here somewhere.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i still can't find the TV cable adjustment thread. maybe someone has it bookmarked.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lve-cable.html

or band anchor.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nsmission.html

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ok thank you, ill look into that....

so with what i described does it sound like the tranny? if tranny was bad wouldnt i have a burnt smelling fluid? and like i said goes right into reverse no problems, and when it had only first and second both gears still had plenty of power with no slippage, and it was suddenly, this all took place within the course of 2 miles.....so it was very sudden

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be possible that there is a problem without burned smell, but it has not been my experience. Look at TV cable, accel cable, and trans shift linkage.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check tv cable bracket that holds cable in place. Isn't revving rpm's and then jerking into gear slipping? Anyway, one day I started having late shifts and found cable holder broke off from bracket. ATF-4 doesn't show burnt smell from heat like other types of trans fluid and is not a good indicator, can look good , but not be good. Don't think weight has anything to do with problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
..... ATF-4 doesn't show burnt smell from heat like other types of trans fluid and is not a good indicator,......

My experience with that is not the same.....on more than one occasion.

Name:  20121012_193418_resized.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  561.6 KB

Smelled burned before it displayed any operational symptoms. Failure caused by heat from blocked fluid flow.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Doing this to your truck most likely did not help it one bit. Did you ever change that speed sensor so OD worked?

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i have no play at driveshaft and sound is continuous....im going to do the wheel thing tomorrow....thanks for the tip

and she still has power lol....i was mad at her the other day when my door latch broke again, so i gave her some punishment........got stuck in the snow in 2wd driving into a snowbank, and i sat there will my foot to the floor and she was bouncing of the rev limiter....didnt like me to much for it, and i probably used 3 gallons of gas doing it, but she deserved a good beating....still runs good lol
Originally Posted by 95RAM360
I went ice fishing, and had a two place trailer with my snowmobile, ice shack, dogsled and alot of other fishing stuffm basically i was loaded full....my truck hauled that stuff with ease, im very happy with the way she did today until the problem hit...

So i brought the trailer and sled to my parents house because its alot closer to where i fish....well i drop off all my stuff and head home...i get on the highway and im cruisin at about 70 and then the rpms jumped to about 3K...lost o/d....but luckily she gave me a code...got a CEL code #15 which is no vehicle speed sensor signal....She kicked back into o/d and rode good for about 2 miles then the speedo dropped to 0 and jumped back out of o/d....shes stuck like that now....but thank god its only the sensor....i thought for sure i was going to lose my tranny today cuz thats never happened to me...needless to say im relieved on what it really is...but to let everyone know yes my tranny fluid is fresh and full...i know people might ask about fluid level

just thought id share

Quick Reply: I think my Ram is down for the count...