2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problems... again lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Cbowes
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems... again lol

I was driving earlier and my truck would not shift to 3rd or 4th without me letting off the gas and when i left off the gas for it to shift into 4th barely pressing the gas it acts like i'm flooring it i don't know very much of anything about vehicles so i need a little help figuring out what this is thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I rebuilt my tranny, I had to pull it out a couple of times. In the words of my facorite philosopher, Richard Prior...."Sometimes yoy have to laugh to keep from crying!"

I will start with the simple things, and least expensive.

Verify that the fluid is full. Get it warm, pakr on level surface, and check in neutral. Only use ATF+4.

Check TV cable adjustment to see if it is correct.

Check shift linkage to make sure it is fully into poisiiton. One bolt to loosed and tighten to do this.

Are you getting any codes?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

yessir. ever since i changed the transmission the first time i started checking the fluid levels on the regular. i need to check shift linkage that's what rings a bell cause it hasn't been feeling like it goes all the way into drive. i'll update in a few..

Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Cbowes
Rookie

i checked linkage it all looks good fluid levels are good (already knew that). gotta go check for codes tomorrow so i couldn't answer you which one it's giving me tomorrow the next place for me to go do that is almost an hour away so i couldn't go tonight. the weird thing is, when i drive as slow as f*ckin possible it shifts just perfect.. ANYTHING faster i mean pedal pushed in a millimeter more to the floor and it starts acting like it's just slipping to f*ckin hell in 2nd 3rd and mostly 4th i have to let off the gas and barely push it in 4 or 5 times before it will shift. it will also shift just fine if i manual do it till 3rd.. 4th still slips like a bitch though. i'm dumbfounded on this truck at this point in time.. i was thinking maybe it's acting crazy trying to shift like the previous tranny but the tranny before this one only slipped goin into third.. man i don't have a clue i wish i knew more about this kinda stuff

Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How about filling out your sig with info about your truck? Helps us help you.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

i used to have a picture of it and everything in my sig idk what happened but i haven't been on here in a month or so i work a month on month off. it's a 98 1500 v6.. the only code it's showing is for the purge valve or some **** which idk anything about either lol. this morning when i went to go drive it to check codes it was shifting fine until it warmed up then it started trippin out again

Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Cbowes
Rookie

Still no luck I took it to a tranny shop and he said he had no idea why it was not shifting unless you let off the gas well just earlier it wouldn't shift out of second period unless I put it in neutral and back into drive which when I did that it just went into third like it was no big deal and 4th please help lol

Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check TPS. See what it looks like. (voltage sweep should be SMOOTH. if it bounces, replace it.)

Have you been in the pan lately? Wonder if the governor pressure sensor/solenoid are getting plugged up....

Quick Reply: transmission problems... again lol