2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brush Guard? Adding Cabin Roof Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Mike_Tuinstra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush Guard? Adding Cabin Roof Lights?

Hey everyone! I just joined the forum because I just bought a beauty of a truck. 1998 Ram 1500 5.2L V8 Regular Cab Extended bed 2WD, 140k miles.

I drive in the country a lot and being in Michigan I have a 99.9% chance of hitting a deer at some point. I also occasionally have to commute into the city and deal with waves of college students that have forgotten how to drive..

Does anyone have any good suggestions on Brush/Bash/Grill Guards? I need something sturdy and would prefer it to wrap around my headlights. It'd be cool if it had lights on it, but not necessary.

Also I have always loved yellow lights on the cabin roof but this truck does not have them

I was wondering how hard that would be to install? I'm pretty handy but know nothing when it comes to electrical stuff. Also LMC truck was asking like $40 a pop for their lights, I'm sure there is a cheaper way of doing it right?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help with the truck lights but I've been looking at this brushguard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300782043909...84.m1423.l2649

Now the pic they use is a 3rd Gen Ram, but I did email them and ask for a picture of the brushguard on a 2nd Gen, and it looks good, and wraps around the headlights.

Should come with 2 pre-drilled holes for light mounting. I don't think you can buy a brushguard and have it shipped cheaper than these, unless it's at a JY.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Recon sells cab lights for the hd trucks. I know the 2500 and 3500 series trucks have holes for the wires to come through on the cab cross brace. Im sure the 1500 trucks are set up the same way. Its not hard at all do do and actually recon tells you how to measure and set them up properly.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
petea216
Professional

I agree with loving the look of amber lights on the roof (AKA: clearance lights). I even added five across the back of the fiberglass cap I use in the winter. I salvaged the roof lights and wire harness from my parts truck, but haven't installed them yet. Layout is my biggest issue right now. I almost just want to get a cab sun-visor with the lights already in it.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered that brush guard today!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Mike_Tuinstra

Originally Posted by stewie01
Let me know how you like it! I'm not finding any decent ones used, I think this may be the one I go with as well!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
petea216
Professional

Originally Posted by stewie01
Sweet! Send pics when it's on!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM
RiddickGuy469

I hate to rain on anybodys parade but I would highly suggest AGAINST any type of after market clearence light or the sun visors on their truck!!! I work for Safelite Auto Glass and I've been in the auto glass business for about half my life and I can't count how many problems I've experienced with either of these. Drilling any type of hole into your roof can have bad consequences. The gasket/gromets for the lights dry out and loosen leading to leaks and possible rusting around the pinchweld area where the windshield is urethaned to. Most of the visors have you drill into the roof with self tapers then seal the holes with silicone.... very bad, especially when its time for your windshield to be replaced. The visor has to be taken back off. Some companies will charge extra or they will not do the job until the visor is taken off.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use silicone and you wont have a problem. Maybe 20-30 years down the road you might. Im not sure but I think dodge just uses a rubber gasket from the factory. I know plenty of guys that have done their own installs of cab lights and never had a problem. If you are doing cab lights and you think it might leak then I would avoid doing it but if you know that you can seal it up and not have a problem then go do it.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Howells
Rookie

heres a good how to, and you can get the kit from mopar for cheap.
http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html

Quick Reply: Brush Guard? Adding Cabin Roof Lights?