2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Part of pcv valve fell in valvecover

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part of pcv valve fell in valvecover

PCV would not come loose, so I grabbed it with a vise grip and tried to rock it out. It was so brittle and just kept breaking into pieces until just last 1/4 in or so that goes into rubber grommet was left. that last little piece broke into two and fell in valvecover. Question, and I am pretty sure I know the answer, should I wait and pull valvecover tomorrow to get the pieces of plastic out before starting engine. I'm am so mad I can't even type! This is so stupid! And this is on my newer 2001 ram. Original Pcv I'm sure. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 PM
southpaw1249
Amateur

yes you should definitely wait and pull the valve cover before starting the engine. Make sure you get every piece of plastic out of there. It could potentially wreck havoc in there.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pulling valve cover is very simple, you need a 7/16" deep well socket and perhaps a short extension. Spark plug wire looms simply pull straight up and off, revealing the bolt. There are 10 total bolts to remove, remember where the long ones were located. After you take the cover off, best way is to remove bits with a wet/dry shop vac so you don't knock them down an oil return hole into the crankcase. Replace cover and do not overtighten the valve cover bolts or you'll snap them clean off in the head. 100 in/lbs. is almost nothing. Gasket is reuseable, BTW.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 02-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Ok thanks, at least it 'll be a balmy 25 degrees tomorrow. And haven't started truck so they should be right there. Just a time thing.

Last edited by ReadRam; 02-23-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What color is the truck?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Pulling valve cover is very simple, you need a 7/16" deep well socket and perhaps a short extension. Spark plug wire looms simply pull straight up and off, revealing the bolt. There are 10 total bolts to remove, remember where the long ones were located. After you take the cover off, best way is to remove bits with a wet/dry shop vac so you don't knock them down an oil return hole into the crankcase. Replace cover and do not overtighten the valve cover bolts or you'll snap them clean off in the head. 100 in/lbs. is almost nothing. Gasket is reuseable, BTW.
yeah squirrels, like you said - you don't remember much about these trucks. LOL.

the original gasket may be hardened and unusable. if so, put in a new one rather than have to redo it due to leaks.

also - you likely need a new rubber grommett.

no point in being mad. those original plastics and rubber grommets do that. at only 6 years old i had to cut mine out in pieces. they were hard as rocks.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Will get new felpro gaskets. The valve covers are loose and prob need new gaskets anyway, because there is a build up of oil mist on valve cover especially towards the back, even though only 58,000 mi. Gdstock, this is the med almond pearlcoat that looks more like gold, the 2001. My red 99 never had this problem. After the fact I've thought of ways I could've got it out ,but was in a hurry. I wonder how many get broke off and shoved in at qwik oil change places?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Quick change

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Will get new felpro gaskets. The valve covers are loose and prob need new gaskets anyway, because there is a build up of oil mist on valve cover especially towards the back, even though only 58,000 mi. Gdstock, this is the med almond pearlcoat that looks more like gold, the 2001. My red 99 never had this problem. After the fact I've thought of ways I could've got it out ,but was in a hurry. I wonder how many get broke off and shoved in at qwik oil change places?

Thats exactly why I will NEVER go to quick change oil places, One of those places stripped the drain plug on my daughters Saturn and put in some type of swelling rubber POS that I do not trust.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are doing both valve covers, mind the ground on the passenger side as it is important to relay a stable ground signal for the various sensors on the top end of the engine (reduces noise in the signal). Be sure to reconnect it.

That was for you, Vaughan.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol..

Quick Reply: Part of pcv valve fell in valvecover