2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HD steering on 99 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
caripple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD steering on 99 1500

Is there a down side to putting the 98-99 HD 1 ton steering on a 99 1500. I have a 99 1500, 4wd, 5.2 auto, std cab short bed. I have a small amout of play in one of the tie rods that i need to fix and though I might as well up grade th 98-99 HD T type steering. Is this a direct drop in if you buy all the parts? Do you need to modify anything? Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think so, other than the cost. i'm thinking about this, but didn't want to spend a ton of money.

DOR has a kit in the works, but its not online yet, and not priced. if you're ready to spend money, contact Danny for a price.
http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store.php
(Our new steering kit is just about ready, and it is without a doubt the best steering setup for all solid-axle Ram trucks from 1994 to 2012!)

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a point in the newer years where the HD would require some fabrication like welding and reaming.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
caripple

Thanks for the replys. I will pick up the parts and do the work when the weather warms a little. Thanks again

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caripple
Is there a down side to putting the 98-99 HD 1 ton steering on a 99 1500. I have a 99 1500, 4wd, 5.2 auto, std cab short bed. I have a small amout of play in one of the tie rods that i need to fix and though I might as well up grade th 98-99 HD T type steering. Is this a direct drop in if you buy all the parts? Do you need to modify anything? Thanks

What parts are you replacing? My steering is just a tad loose but the joints and ends all checked out fine and I was thinking of replacing the box which has 230K miles on it. HD would be an upgrade when the time comes so I'm considering this...I would just need to know what is the right balance of parts to swap out for to make it all worth it.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,295 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Isn't the steering box the same whether you have HD or not?

Isn't the conversion to the '08.5 crossover steering a direct bolt in? (or do you need to ream out the holes for the tie rod ends? There was a thread on this notsoverylongago....)

If you are going to replace the steering box, get a borgeson, or redhead unit. Bit more pricey, but, you get a box that actually SOLVES the problems, not just reintroduce them.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM
DPR250R
Professional

My Saturday will be spent putting the HD setup on my 96 1500.

Also, Borgeson box and shaft.

1997 2500 master, caliper and wheel cylinders as well.

Hope to steer and brake when I am done!!!

What are you guys doing about mounting the damper with the HD setup?

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

C/P out of my files on this subject.

I upgraded my steering from the inverted "Y" system to the heavy duty crossover system or "T". The inverted "Y" setup has a couple drawbacks. First it's quite a bit weaker and second is that the toe setting will move with any change in front end height. The solid bar between the two wheels is a lot stronger and holds the tow setting spot on at all times no matter the ride height. The HD system may cause a little bump steer if a truck is lifted a lot without having a dropped pitman arm. I don't notice any bump steer with my 2" leveling kit.

I installed Moog parts from Carquest for the 1998 year (the HD system was used only in '98 and '99). Notice the size difference in the main tie rod between the wheels and the huge adjusting sleeve. Below are part numbers for the complete setup, which should work for '94-'02 trucks. To the best of my knowledge the pitman arm taper was changed in 2000 so for '00-'02 trucks you can use all the parts listed below except for the upper drag link end, in which case you need to use p/n ES3527. Another option would be to install a pitman arm from a pre year 2000 truck. The original drag link adjusting sleeve will interchange. I went ahead and got a new one so I wouldn't have to fight the rust.

I have no clearance issues at the wheels, as some have reported, even with the 2001 8" factory alloy wheels (original wheels were 6.5" steel on this truck) and the '96 D60 axle, which was changed out because the original '98 axle was damaged in the accident this truck was in before I got it. So there you have it, a 1998 truck, 1996 front axle, 2001 alloy wheels and 1998 heavy duty tie rods and it all works great.

- Drag link: DS1459
- Long tie rod (passenger side: DS1456
- Left tie rod end (driver side): ES3496
- Drag link upper end (at pitman arm): ES3497 (ES3527 for '00-'02)
- Small adjusting sleeve (drag link): ES2012S
- Large adjusting sleeve (long tie rod): ES3498S

Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
caripple

It was nice and warm here yesterday so I install the HD steering on my 99 1500. Everthing went well. No problems at all. My truck had a clamp on stabalizer so I was able to use it on the HD setup. The clamps were pretty tight as the HD dragline is a little larger in diamter but I got it to work. The steering is tighter but I did not have a lot of play to begin with. I had a little movement, on the old steering, where the dragline from the dirvers side connected to the link from the pitman arm near the pasanger wheel. Under heavy braking the truck would plull a little to the left. I thought this was a bad caliper so I replaced both with the 2500 calipers still pulled but now it would stop much better. Before it was stand on the brakes and hope if it was a panic stop. Anyway with the HD steering it stops nice and staight. For me it was well worth the money spent. I've had the truck about a year and am still getting it the way I want it.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
zach01
Professional

Originally Posted by caripple
It was nice and warm here yesterday so I install the HD steering on my 99 1500. Everthing went well. No problems at all. My truck had a clamp on stabalizer so I was able to use it on the HD setup. The clamps were pretty tight as the HD dragline is a little larger in diamter but I got it to work. The steering is tighter but I did not have a lot of play to begin with. I had a little movement, on the old steering, where the dragline from the dirvers side connected to the link from the pitman arm near the pasanger wheel. Under heavy braking the truck would plull a little to the left. I thought this was a bad caliper so I replaced both with the 2500 calipers still pulled but now it would stop much better. Before it was stand on the brakes and hope if it was a panic stop. Anyway with the HD steering it stops nice and staight. For me it was well worth the money spent. I've had the truck about a year and am still getting it the way I want it.
my abs motor is bad so its pretty scary stopping so i know the feeling of praying for the truck to stop lol espeicly towing my 13000 pound tractor on my 4500lbs trailer... i just about slid pass every stop sign i'm surprised i havent hit anyone yet

Quick Reply: HD steering on 99 1500