2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ebay Headers for v10...cheap! Good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM
440rc86
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Headers for v10...cheap! Good?

Those $130 headers for the v10 on ebay are kinda tempting. Has anyone tried them?

Last edited by 440rc86; 03-01-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: thought I'd include the price
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

130.00 for headers... Yeah they have got to be real great! I think most good aftermarket headers start around 600.00. Heck I paid 350.00 for headers on my jeep cj. They are semi ok ones. Could be that im used to paying about 2 times the price for parts for my truck than I did with my dakota lol just seems cheap

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 03-01-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 440rc86
Those $130 headers for the v10 on ebay are kinda tempting. Has anyone tried them?

I might recommend you try and listen to a V10 truck with headers first. I have heard a few and they do not sound like a V8 with headers. The firing order creates some sort of weird effect that just isn't pleasing when not muffled by the stock manifolds.

I'm not going to say you wouldn't like it, but I think it would be a good idea to hear it for yourself before you spend the money and time to change over to something that you may not actually like. Power goals not withstanding.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Those ebay headers are crap. They'll come apart in a short period of time from the crappy welds and rust. Get a brand name. The V10 will sound weird with headers because of the firing order. It's like a 4 and 6 cylinder engine running at the same time. A buzz saw type of sound.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Those ebay headers are crap. They'll come apart in a short period of time from the crappy welds and rust. Get a brand name. The V10 will sound weird with headers because of the firing order. It's like a 4 and 6 cylinder engine running at the same time. A buzz saw type of sound.
Sounds like a good argument for single 3" exhaust, and a decent muffler.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sounds like a good argument for single 3" exhaust, and a decent muffler.

Agreed.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard some setups sound like a diesel at idle and then others sound like a v8 but when they get on it they sound like a v6

Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first bought my V10 a couple years ago, I spent quite a bit of time searching the forums here for V10 performance mods and info. From what I read about exhaust mods, it seems our exhausts are pretty well set up now. The 3" pipe and muffler flow fairly well. Even the manifolds aren't very restrictive, though shorty headers will improve power a bit. Cleaning up the intake and exhaust ports on the heads and cleaning the runners of the intake manifold are time better spent for increasing power over spending a ton on exhaust mods.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 AM
440rc86
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Yeah, it's a sound that doesn't exactly sound powerful.
I really can't afford the more expensive headers. So maybe I should just skip them and try a different muffler. I've read that Flowmasters don't sound very good on the v10, but does any muffler? What about glasspacks?? Now there's something you don't see everyday! I'm half kidding.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by 440rc86
Yeah, it's a sound that doesn't exactly sound powerful.
I really can't afford the more expensive headers. So maybe I should just skip them and try a different muffler. I've read that Flowmasters don't sound very good on the v10, but does any muffler? What about glasspacks?? Now there's something you don't see everyday! I'm half kidding.

I am a huge fan of Magnaflow mufflers. I know Flowmaster has a bigger name with 'guys' like us in this field of modifications so I have made it a point to always hear both before picking one for a project. I have listened to both a Flowmaster and a Magnaflow in almost every car I own that currently has a Magnaflow and the Magnaflow always wins. Classic Corvettes, classic Camaro, Dodge Charger, Dodge Durango, Dodge Ram...the list is literally twenty cars deep. Not all mine...LOL.

Anyway, the owner of the machine shop I use a lot here in town used to have a V10 Ram that he used to pick up engine cores for tear down and cores. I saw him cycle through several different options with his exhaust and these are the pointers I will give you.

Stock manifolds, stock exhaust to CAT, Magnaflow, and a basic singe tip.

The dual exhaust just didn't sound right. It sounded better at higher RPM and crappy at idle. That V10 firing order just gives you reasons to dislike headers and duals, and the Flowmaster made a very odd resonance and drone with the V10.

Quick Reply: Ebay Headers for v10...cheap! Good?