2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about 360/5.9L into my Jeep..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
andrewmacc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
M1 Two Barrel won't thump your bottom end much. If you put in a better cam, you won't notice any loss at all. It also breathes MUCH better than the kegger.

Gears are nice and deep. Good. The 3500 MIGHT survive for a while there, but, I would still see if you can find a 4500. (5600?? )

May also wanna check around.... Didn't the Jeeps COME with a 5.9/5.2 at some point? I should think that most of the stuff you need to drop yours in would be readily available if that's the case.
Quick response back at ya. I'm in class, I guess I should be learning instead, but hey.

So far the price I see for the M1 alone is $500+, so I have to say that may have to come later once I get the prices for everything worked out. In the meantime maybe the keg mod will give it some better flow. Apparently Chrysler has the M1 on backorder..?

Hah, yeah I wanted to squeeze that gearing for what it's worth with the poor 4.0L that's sitting dejectedly between the frame rails with all its components unplugged.

I'll see what kind of negotiation I can do on the price of the 3500, they're asking a bit much for a wrecker tranny. I'll run the AX-15 until it blows up for now, I can keep the driveshafts the same length to save a few hundred. I think the 4500 would make a difficult fit inside the tunnel in a Cherokee.

The Grand Cherokees came with the 5.2L in a bunch of years, and the 5.9L only in 1998. I had a line on a good 5.9L from a GC but they catch a bigger premium for their rarity, and I would still have to modify just as many things to get the motor in - would still have to splice the harnesses, still have to change the PCM, still have to adapt motor mounts, etc. And even the Jeep manifolds, I believe, have a slightly more difficult time clearing the XJ Cherokee firewall, so I may have gone with headers even on a GC 5.0L, so again, same price. I've seen guys cut and reweld, but that's a lot of work for crummy old manifolds.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As one here that wheels his junk regularly and based on your replies today to ppl's questions:

1) The 5.9l in stock healthy form will fit your needs perfectly. I've got full 1000 lbs more on you. You'll have plenty of low end.

2) Run the ax 15 till it breaks or you're able to do a swap properly. A healthy 46re would do just dandy (it's what was behind the 98 GC). Some choice upgrades. Or you can consider my plan...46re with 47re internals.

3) 5.9 breakdown -- comp check, plenum fix, mopar double roller timing chain, new water pump, new oil pump, cap, rotor, plugs, wires (follow wiring TSB), clean throttle body, new injector orings, check the freeze plugs, rear main seal, check the heads for cracks, check the valve train, and finally all new gaskets and as-needed bolts. This plus the install and any issues that arise could run your budget....

The M1 is one way to obtain desirable throttle response....first hand experience.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
andrewmacc

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
As one here that wheels his junk regularly and based on your replies today to ppl's questions:

1) The 5.9l in stock healthy form will fit your needs perfectly. I've got full 1000 lbs more on you. You'll have plenty of low end.

2) Run the ax 15 till it breaks or you're able to do a swap properly. A healthy 46re would do just dandy (it's what was behind the 98 GC). Some choice upgrades. Or you can consider my plan...46re with 47re internals.

3) 5.9 breakdown -- comp check, plenum fix, mopar double roller timing chain, new water pump, new oil pump, cap, rotor, plugs, wires (follow wiring TSB), clean throttle body, new injector orings, check the freeze plugs, rear main seal, check the heads for cracks, check the valve train, and finally all new gaskets and as-needed bolts. This plus the install and any issues that arise could run your budget....

The M1 is one way to obtain desirable throttle response....first hand experience.
Fair enough. A refresh will be more helpful than some assortment of performance parts, you're right. I know my approximate budget doesn't leave much, but I wanted to operate within a manageable cost without it ending up as comparable to an LSx swap.

I have the 46re already in the truck, as far as I'm aware. I was skeptical of running it because I have a good friend running a '97 5.2L, auto, BDS long arm on 35" Trail Grapplers and he's had horrendous problems with his transmission. I believe he's had trouble with multiple. He had claimed they were actually weak transmissions.
Plus there's nothing more fun than banging gears.

Thank you for the information, by the way. The 4.0L is just about ready to leave its home so I can prep the engine bay. Off to work I go on this, then.

Just for fun 'cause I miss wheeling it already, here's a few pics through various stages.

Attached Thumbnails Questions about 360/5.9L into my Jeep..-425403_4653272224207_1822324119_n.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pics!

Don't mistake me in saying that the 46re is the bomb. Anything in stock form that is treated like ****...will grenade. The 46re is susceptible such treatment, especially in the form of over heating. Hence, I qualified some options on the 46re flavor for you in light of not considering a manual.

With a LSx engine you'll definitely have more power, however, I'm not sure of their longevity relative to a Magnum of this generation. Others here would probably better provide that feedback.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Well I can't offer much more than has already been said. I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler that came stock with a 4cyl. I swapped out the stock engine for a 5.2 & 44RE tranny. I am in the process of rebuilding a 5.9 to replace the 5.2 with. My rig needs to go on a diet too as I am right around the 5,000lb mark. I have a HP44 front and Tera Flex CRD60 rear both with 5.13 gears and ARB's. I'm running 38" TSL SX tires on Stazworks dual beadlock rims.

Name:  IMG_2747.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.75 MB

It pretty much looks like this now. I am your southern neighbor so I know all about slipping and sliding around on the trail. I live in Central Washington near Ellensburg.
Will have to keep an eye on this thread and watch your progress.

I do have a stock intake that already has the Hughes Engines plenum plate and stuff on it. If you find your short on funds you can have the intake for the cost of shipping and the box for it.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

May also wanna check around.... Didn't the Jeeps COME with a 5.9/5.2 at some point? I should think that most of the stuff you need to drop yours in would be readily available if that's the case.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee came with the 5.2 from 1993 to 1998 and the 5.9 was offered one your only and that was 1998. In 1999 the body style changed and they switched to the 4.7.

Using the Jeep engines as swap rigs can cause issues with the PCM's sometimes because some models had the keyless entry so your engine will fire and run for 3-10 secs and then die. The fix is to get the PCM reprogramed or get a different PCM.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
andrewmacc

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
It pretty much looks like this now. I am your southern neighbor so I know all about slipping and sliding around on the trail. I live in Central Washington near Ellensburg.
Will have to keep an eye on this thread and watch your progress.

I do have a stock intake that already has the Hughes Engines plenum plate and stuff on it. If you find your short on funds you can have the intake for the cost of shipping and the box for it.
The rig looks sweet! I like the set-up. I've seen your posts around PBB a few times. Any plans for more stretch? You Wranglers guys have it easy when it comes to getting some more room for tires!

I don't wanna pilfer you of your good parts, but that would be absolutely awesome if you're willing to part ways with it. I'd be extraordinarily grateful.

So far just plugging away at it right now. School comes first, then work, then the Jeep. Got the harness 99.9% out. Just gotta lower the tranny/case a little so I can reach the reverse light connector and the speedo sensor. Stupid that Jeep even wrapped the windshield washer fluid hose up inside the harness..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If funds are an issue, I would say your 46re has a decent chance at holding up in your jeep. It is lighter than the vehicle it was designed for, so it will see a little less stress. Heat is the enemy with this trans. If you have your heart set on a stick, then an NV4500 is the way to go, but will cost more. I would sell you a NV3500 pretty cheap that had a recent rebuild but for some reason, my 4th gear synchro isnt up to par. I can still shift smoothly, I just cant do a quick shift to 4th. Only issue would be shipping it to you. That would be spendy.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NV4500. Best option hands down. Come down here and I will sell you mine with less than 10,000 miles on it, already set up for a 360, with a full kevlar clutch, upgraded hydraulics, a spare quart of Amsoil GL-4, and an NP241 behind it if you want that too. That setup will be able to handle more than 500hp, so you won't have anything to worry about there.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even the nv3500 won't really like being behind that 360, especially with those big tires on the other end.....

What gear ratio ya got in your axles?
3500 should be fine. Mine has 230k on it. 38k behind 440ft/lbs and 12k behind 500ft/lbs. The 4:1 T-case and 5.13 axles gears will also go a long ways in preserving tranny life.

Quick Reply: Questions about 360/5.9L into my Jeep..