2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is my transmission shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my transmission shot?

Sorry for starting another transmission thread, but the ones I found using the search function didn't seem to cover my symptoms.
I have a '98 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 and a 46re.
I bought the truck last November from an older gentleman who claimed to have bought it a year before from a service manager at a Dodge dealership who had the transmission rebuilt, intake plenum gasket replaced, tie rod ends replaced, and all maintenance performed.
I have since replaced the plenum plate with the eBay aluminum plate, and dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter before a road trip 2 weeks ago. I carefully refilled the atf+4 to the correct level, and had no trouble or leakage on my 1,000 mile round trip.
On my way home from work yesterday, my truck died as I was getting on the interstate for no apparent reason. It has never done that before. I pulled off the side, checked cables, oil level, coolant, etc and couldn't find anything wrong. I didn't check the trans fluid because the truck wasn't idling. I started it back up after my quick check, and everything seemed fine, so I got back on the road. I noticed as I got up to 70-75 mph that my rpms seemed just a little higher than normal, maybe 300 or so. After about 10 minutes, my O/D Off light came on, and it shifted into 3rd. I slowed down a bit, and tried to get it back into overdrive, but it wouldn't re-engage. I drove a couple more miles at 60-65 mph to my exit, and put it in neutral as I coasted down the off ramp, thinking it may go back into OD if I shifted back into drive at a stop. Just seconds after I put it in neutral, my trans temp light came on, and I started blowing white smoke. I coasted down the ramp and off the side, popped the hood, and felt the transmission down tube. It wasn't hot, so I pulled the dipstick. A little smoke came out through the top, but the smoke was pretty much gone at that point. The fluid level was halfway up the to the handle and smelled burnt, but was still a bright, clear red. It didn't seem hot as I smelled it, so I felt the fluid, and it wasn't hot at all. I crawled under the truck and found fluid all over, but no obvious leak. It looked like it may have been coming out of the front of the bell housing, up high, but I couldn't really see a source. A snapped a few pics which will probably be worthless, but were the best I could do at the time.

I would appreciate any suggestions, opinions, and advice, including recommendations for mechanics who know these trucks in the middle Tennessee area.
I know there is a really good write up on rebuilding a 46RE, but I don't have the tools, workspace, or time to tackle it right now. If there is a possible fix that could be done in the driveway, I may be able to handle that, but I have never worked on an automatic transmission, other than recently changing the filter on this one.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see tranny fluid "all over the place". But it's possible you over filled it. Did you check it idling and in NEUTRAL ? Aside from getting the fluid to correct level, you might try deleting the tranny check valve. Info on that can be found in the FAQ/DIY section here in the 2nd gen Ram section.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

It does indeed sound like the trans got hot, and puked fluid..... pretty good sign of a clogged check valve.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd try tightening up the pan bolts....looks like it is leaking from the gasket a bit. How many miles on the truck?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Rebel541
Professional

Thanks for the replies. I know the pictures aren't great, but there was fluid coming down from the bell housing, on the exhaust pipes in front of the transmission pan, above the pan, and splashed onto the crossmember and further back.
I was careful to refill the fluid to the OKAY mark on the dipstick after the truck was warmed up while the truck was idling in park, but not neutral.
I checked it again when I got to Augusta, and again when I got home, the level was okay each time. Each time I checked it in park with the truck warmed up and idling.
I will re-torque the bolts, I haven't checked them since I changed the filter 3 weeks ago.
I think deleting the check valve would be a job I could handle in the driveway, I'll go read the write-up on it. Would that cause the high rpms in OD and the OD to shut off? It would be great if this was a minor fix.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

After looking at the pics again, the first one looks like some one hosed the tranny pan gasket install. (looks like the gasket is toast). Replace the gasket , and make sure the fluid level (ATF+4) is correct. (running at operating temp in neutral). The tranny pan bolts and filter bolts are 13 inch pounds. Check the pan bolts in a few days after install.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Rebel541
Professional

If the pan gasket is shot, I am the only one to blame.
I'll wipe it down and look closely when I get home to see if I can see any breaks, bulges, or voids. I torqued the pan down to 13 ft-lbs when I re-installed it, but I neglected to go back and check it again. The pan had some hard black adhesive on the gasket surface that I removed and smoothed as well as I could with a small brass cup on a dremel tool, and I spread a very thin layer of RTV on the pan before laying the gasket over it and pushing the bolts through to hold it in place while I reinstalled it.
I forgot to include that the truck has roughly 122,000 miles.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
After looking at the pics again, the first one looks like some one hosed the tranny pan gasket install. (looks like the gasket is toast). Replace the gasket , and make sure the fluid level (ATF+4) is correct. (running at operating temp in neutral). The tranny pan bolts and filter bolts are 13 inch pounds. Check the pan bolts in a few days after install.
I thought it was 13 ft lbs?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by stewie01
I thought it was 13 ft lbs?
You are correct, sorry, I screwed that one up.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel541
..............truck was idling in park, but not neutral. .................. Each time I checked it in park with the truck warmed up and idling.........
I will re-torque the bolts, I haven't checked them since I changed the filter 3 weeks ago.
I think deleting the check valve would be a job I could handle in the driveway, I'll go read the write-up on it. Would that cause the high rpms in OD and the OD to shut off? It would be great if this was a minor fix.

That is part of your problem, It is overfilled.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It does indeed sound like the trans got hot, and puked fluid..... pretty good sign of a clogged check valve.

..and this is antother part of the problem.

Also, put on a new rubber pan gasket WITHOUT the RTV or any sealant. Make sure lip on pan is flat with no pulls or warpage.

Quick Reply: Is my transmission shot?