2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v10 transmission slip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trans temp gauge shoud not - unless they taped it into tranny wiring. I would check and remove it fomr that if it is to eliminate it as a potential problem.

Go back to the chaffed wires. Make sure they are not so damaged that it cerates current draw issues. For example, a 18 strad wire with only four good strands, will create problems. Replacing any damaged wire is better than just taping it up.

I think you will find this wiring to be your problem.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There's another switch under there? Park/Neutral/Revers should all be the same switch, right below where the shift linkage hits the trans....

Find out where the wires running to the passenger side of the trans are going. Might be important.

You will get a host of codes with the 8 pin disconnected...... Don't trust any of them.

Since it worked in manual mode... as mentioned before, that indicates that mechanically, your trans should be fine. Just need to sort the electrical now.

On the 8 pin connector, Key On, Engine Off, you should have power (for at least three seconds...) at Pin 1, red wire, should be 12 volts, and Pin 2, Orange wire, should be 5 volts. NONE of the others should have power.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM
saharanate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no wires werent broken just chaffed the plastic off. i will take trans temp wire off pass side tomorrow as welll as test that connector and wiring a little better. keep ya posted!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
saharanate

ok so i went under this morn dissconected that trans temp sensor then was goin to backprobe thew 8 pin when i noticed a small puddle of fluid. i had left the 8 pin off last night and fluid came right out of it. think i found the culprit? how does this connect? dealer only part?

Attached Thumbnails v10 transmission slip?-imag0109.jpg  

Last edited by saharanate; 03-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something ain't right there!

I had a leaky plug too, turns out both the O Rings were gone.

I bought a new TCC/OD Solenoid Assembly from the dealer, like $140, but I'd think it's available elsewhere for a bit cheaper.

Gotta drop the pan, on the driver side there is a part that bolts to the side of the valve body, gotta remove that, catch the spring that shoots out at you, there's a "cup" like piece that will fall out too, been awhile since I did it, don't have pictures anymore.

It's not too hard.

Edit:

Found some pics:

Name:  tcc-odassembly_zps71cf4941.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  valvebody_zpsb98b830d.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  13.3 KB

Last edited by stewie01; 03-17-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
saharanate

ty ! ill be doin that this week. keep ya posted

Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by saharanate
ok so i went under this morn dissconected that trans temp sensor then was goin to backprobe thew 8 pin when i noticed a small puddle of fluid. i had left the 8 pin off last night and fluid came right out of it. think i found the culprit? how does this connect? dealer only part?

I do like photos to help diagnose...but I cannot tell anything here.

Like Stewie mentioned, fluid can come out from orings being bad, missing, or damaged, but only real problem it should create is leak on driveway, and perpetual thirst for expensive ATF+4!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he'll find something a little more telling when he goes to replace the part

When mine leaked it leaked at the bottom of the connector down the transmission. His pic shows a puddle in the connector itself. Any chance it could be creating a short or something of that nature?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by stewie01
Maybe he'll find something a little more telling when he goes to replace the part

When mine leaked it leaked at the bottom of the connector down the transmission. His pic shows a puddle in the connector itself. Any chance it could be creating a short or something of that nature?

Could be a possibility. I don't know the dialectric characteristics of tranny fluid, but I would not rule it out.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
saharanate

ok sorry it took a while to get back!! so I changed the the 8 pin harness replaced the broken actuator spring in trans I found in the process put on another fresh filter and filled her up. took it for a good 15min ride and it was flawless. checked when I got back no codes. so I thought I was good!! no next day I got out and putted around with a few things on truck , then when I started it and put it in drive it was in limp mode again. checked code 1762. so I been waiting for another warm day to go nuts on the wiring. im gonna get in there and solder every wire the previous owner had but connectors and what not. I had read in another thread about putting a resistor on the orange wire to trans? seems the guy had same problem.

Quick Reply: v10 transmission slip?