2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold, Shaking acceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look it up.. I don't have the gauges to do this, but theres a shop up town I may be able to use theirs. Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaissiKitten
It feels EXACTLY like a utv does when you try to drive it with the choke on.
It doesn't feel like a misfire, it feels like its not getting enough gas.

which is it? too much gas or not enough?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
coldsteel5
Rookie

You never touched the plenum? Have you checked to see if its blown?

Last edited by coldsteel5; 03-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you determine 170 degrees? And that is too cool. It will make it run pig rich to try to increase the heat, therefore the gas smell. Do not rule out temp sensor.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I'm not exactly sure whether its to much or not enough gas. I feels like not enough, the way it's sluggish, but then there is the smell, like something aint right. Its hard to explain I guess.. I have not checked the plenum.. In honestly, I have no idea what or how to check it? 170 is what my guage in the truck is telling me. I have not tested the water temperature itself, But I plan to as soon as it warms up enough to go outside. I also have gauges to check the fuel pressure.. And the coolant temp sensor, Has been replaced. Still same result. I will let you know what results I get when I get the tests done. We are covered in snow right now. =/

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Okay, I just ran a test on the PSI at the fuel rail. Engine off, but with key on, it sits at 25psi. After starting the truck, it sits on 49 psi exactly. Now, When I hit the gas pedal, it STAYS at 49 psi. Bad fuel Regulator? I done some research on testing this, and they say the regulator should make it jump around 5 psi when you hit the throttle. I done this three time with no change in psi. Havent gotten around to testing the water temp yet. Honestly Im a little worried about running it long enough to warm it up now

Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, I just ran a test on the PSI at the fuel rail. Engine off, but with key on, it sits at 25psi. After starting the truck, it sits on 49 psi exactly. Now, When I hit the gas pedal, it STAYS at 49 psi. Bad fuel Regulator? I done some research on testing this, and they say the regulator should make it jump around 5 psi when you hit the throttle. I done this three time with no change in psi. Havent gotten around to testing the water temp yet. Honestly Im a little worried about running it long enough to warm it up now
It was my understanding the 98-01 should have 40psi regulators? and the 96-97 had 50psi ones.... maybe I have that backwards though.. I know varying UP TO 5psi when throttle is hit sounds normal.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I am not sure.. If I look it up, I get 40psi, 50psi, and 44-54psi.. LOL! It also says bad regulators wont hold pressure in the lines, and when I shut the truck off, the gauge held at 49 until I relieved it. I have no idea here. =/

Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Wait a minute.. I tested it cold. Would that make a difference?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well dont feel bad I had a shop replace my fuel pump and regulator in october with one I bought new online and since then I have had to wiggle the wires and hoses on the pump to get the damn thing to work at all but then it runs fine all day till it sits overnight..Connections seem tight from what I can feel.. I have to drop the tank and check it myself as im sure the shop wont check it without charging my because I sourced the part myself.... and I cant say I blame them.
needless to say Ive been driving the company car for the last 5 months or so... I miss my truck.

Quick Reply: Cold, Shaking acceleration??