2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold, Shaking acceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold, Shaking acceleration??

I've searched around, but nothing seems to add up to whats going on here..

My truck, (2000 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l auto) Has always ran cold. I've questioned it a few times here, checked things and never found a solution, but I didn't really worry about it, it never really posed a problem. Im not sure if it is connected now, though, or not.

Today, I started my truck, and drove to town to pick up my kids from school. On the gravel I noticed my truck is running funny. Low power, and shaky. Idle was perfect, but acceleration caused things in the truck to rattle so hard I thought it was gunna knock cups out of the holder. When I stopped to check my mail, it stunk like gas fumes. No leaks. When I got to the school, I checked my codes. P 1281. Engine running at low temp? Now, Ive owned it a year and a half and it has ALWAYS warmed up at 170 degree's f. Never been an issue. Even in the winter, it always ran fine. I've checked and replaced the thermostat twice. Coolant sensor, I've flushed the radiator, changed the fan, and the fan clutch.. I have heat, so I have NO idea why it wont warm up. Like I said, I dunno if it is connected or not, but it sounds like it. Anyway, I drove it a total of 15 miles, and it was at its normal warm spot, and it ran this way the whole time. Any ideas? It feels EXACTLY like a utv does when you try to drive it with the choke on. Is my choke messing up? I checked the oil levels, spark plugs, everything is perfect.

I will make this statement, Yesterday my dumb self ran into a stump in the woods hauling fire wood. Slow speed, but enough to make me hit the steering wheel. It hit my front axle, but I checked everything out, and everything was fine, no leaks or damage. I also drove it another 10 miles after that and had no problems at all.

Thanks! Sorry! I usually figure these things out, but this is a first for me.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
byronpen
Veteran

cam positioning sensor, its in the distributor. I had the same problems. Everyone told me everything but this sensor. 50 dollars later and 3min of work the problem was fixed.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I have never messed with that one. What's one more learning experience.. LOL. Thank you, I will check that out first.!
i'm betting your right. I notice looking it up they say one symptom of CPS failure is longer cranking time when cold. That was my first clue this morning, it took a bit more crank to get it running.

Last edited by RaissiKitten; 03-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds to me like more than one problem. Has the plenum been fixed? If it's blown it will ruin the o2's (which can give you the running issue). And do you have a cat or cats with that "custom X pipe" ? As far as temp goes, 170 is way too cool no matter what. What temp T-stat is in it?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
dlyter09
Champion

+1 on what zman.. You should be getting up to more than 170..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

your describing a misfire...(bad shake starting about 40mph when converter locks up... when I had that issue I really had to pound on it to get a code and I replaced the cam position sensor with no luck.along with a lot of other stuff...It ended up being a cracked header in the collector where I couldnt see it causing a bad exhaust leak....
Id check the usual tuneup stuff first like plugs and wires and maybe a bit of seafoam in the intake (if you have a lot of carbon buildup it will smoke like a bitch as it cleans and burns it up so it does work well)

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

No, there is no Cats on this truck. Also, the Plenum has not been touched since I have owned it. The temp of the thermostats, both old and new were 195, and both opened at 195.. The truck is shaking at ANY acceleration, not just 40 mph. Going up the gravel road from stop to 5 mph and it will shake. The o2's are only a year old and aren't throwing any codes. It doesn't feel like a misfire, it feels like its not getting enough gas.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Have you verified fuel pressure?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

No, I am not sure how? I know that it coasts and idles like normal. But I've never checked fuel pressure?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Gotta hook up a gauge.. Should see 49 psi..

Quick Reply: Cold, Shaking acceleration??