2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering leak and bed question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
MHell2k13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak and bed question

I have had a leak between my powersteering pump and pulley for a while now and im wondering if it is moving onto the pulley and causing the belt to squeek. I looked on the pulley and it almost seems as if there is fluid on the pulley , so oil on a belt would cause it to slip. Does this make sense?

Also my bed is rusting out where the floor of the bed is welded onto the side of front side of the bed that is right behind my cab. So the bed is sagging down. Is there any way i could figure out to fix this or do i have to buy a new bed? (which i really dont want to do)

Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you get either ps oil or coolant on the belt it will squeak.

if/when you replace it, price compare buying online from Advance auto (with 20% or better discount codes) and either pick up in store or free shipping to home. i've found them to be same or cheaper than rockauto because you can return the cores for free at your local store.

post a picture of your rusty bed. let's see what you got going on.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM
MHell2k13
Professional

Sorry I have been in Kentucky. Do you know how it would leak between the pulley and pump?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM
MHell2k13
Professional

I'm just wondering if there is a deal I can replace so I don't have to replace the whole thing. As for the bad has anyone built a wood flat bed for a ram truck?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

this is the seal around the pulley shaft.
you can get this single seal, or an entire kit of all the seals.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+steering+pump

complete kit
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+steering+pump

a complete pump is $42.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Bed

Originally Posted by MHell2k13
I'm just wondering if there is a deal I can replace so I don't have to replace the whole thing. As for the bad has anyone built a wood flat bed for a ram truck?
That seal dhvaughan gave you the link on is a pretty cheap fix for your leak, as far as wooden beds go I have seen some nice ones crafted and some pretty lame ones also so it just depends how good you are at wood art.
You don't give your location but around here in the midwest where there are shops that make or install metal flatbeds on oilfield or farm trucks have a assortment of takeoff beds for a fair price ($300-$500) which might be another alternative for you.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
MHell2k13
Professional

How do I get to that seal though? That's what I'm wondering. Would it be simpler to but a new pump?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Pump

Originally Posted by MHell2k13
How do I get to that seal though? That's what I'm wondering. Would it be simpler to but a new pump?
It may be wise to buy a Haynes manual to follow thru with your problem as you will have to remove the pump to replace the seal or to replace the pump and if you do not have access to a puller you will have to rent or buy one either way. I have never replaced a seal nor pull the pump but pulling the pump off the block is very straightforward and from there on it is more complicated but very doable. With the price of a pump @ $42 as above ad states that would be hard to beat, I am guessing this is a rebuilt pump according to the price. You will need to align your pulley after you get the pump bolted back to the block so it runs true with the rest of the pulleys, good time to replace the serpentine belt and check the other pulleys/tightner when you have all this apart.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

How do I get to that seal though?
rent a pulley puller.
remove pump, disassemble, reassemble. +1 on see the service manual.

Would it be simpler to but a new pump?
simpler - yes.
easier - yes.
cheaper - no. but the whole rebuild kit was about $13 and a rebuilt pump was only $42 at Advance (buy online w/discount, pick up at store or ship to home. free ship to home requires a $75 purchase, so you might have to combine with other stuff)
--you'll still need to rent the pulley puller--

i'm lazy - i'd replace the whole pump, assuming that if the seal is leaking then other parts are worn out too and i don't want to work on it but one time and be done with it.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think VW did a DIY thread on rebuilding the pump.

Quick Reply: power steering leak and bed question