2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Check engine light, error codes 31 and 17

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ledman
Any ideas on what may take that brown stuff off with out removing the paint?
lol.... new paint.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
ledman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I removed my battery box and it looked like this:

Cleaning with baking soda and wire brush, then rust inhibitor and paint....now looks like this:

Wow, what a difference! Nice job gdstock!
Looks like I will add that to my ongoing project list

Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM
My360
Professional

I can't help you on this topic but I just want to point out..
Under your hood looks AMAZING for a '97! I guess these Canadian winters really takes a toll on things. Looks like I got some cleaning up to do on my truck.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Old coolant and a bad radiator cap can throw temp gauge off 10 to 15 degress higher than normal and cause cel to light up. Just a thought.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
ledman
Rookie

Originally Posted by My360
I can't help you on this topic but I just want to point out..
Under your hood looks AMAZING for a '97! I guess these Canadian winters really takes a toll on things. Looks like I got some cleaning up to do on my truck.
Thanks! Yes, living in So. California makes it allot easier to keep it clean.

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Old coolant and a bad radiator cap can throw temp gauge off 10 to 15 degress higher than normal and cause cel to light up. Just a thought.
Hmmm, didn't think of that, maybe I will toss on a new rad cap for the heck of it, the cooloant is pretty new, but thanks for the tip.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:43 AM
mikeybrow
Default Can you tell me what side of your problem with the code 31

Originally Posted by ledman
Hi all,
On my way home from work tonight, my check engine light came on. 97 Ram 1500 5.9L gas, auto trans 2WD.
Truck seems to run the same as far as I can tell.
Codes we as follows:12-31-17-55

The truck had sat for about 5 days this week,(drove my altima, better on gas!) I started it this morning, and it started right up after sitting for 5 days, and pretty much I drove away, not a good idea as it did not seem to like that as it hesitated some. It was about 55 degrees out, so not what I call cold.

Side note,
I stopped this morning on my way to work, and put in some gas, regular 87 octane, put in about a half tank as I was nearing empty.

So, from what I can gather from the DF and other internet sites, code 17 says "Runs too hot, or too cold" "insufficent warm up time", OR "coolant temp sensor bad", so I am guessing I confused the coolant temp gauge? It takes awhile for the truck to warm up, and I just put a new 195 T-stat in 2 weeks ago.
Temp runs normal, about 200. Before the new T-stat, it ran cool, really cool, about 160-170 and never got a code. Previous owner put in a diff T-stat.
Any thoughts?

Next code is Code 31, EVAP solenoid circuit...I have no clue what this even is? Any help is appreciated!! I did check the gas cap, and I just had the truck smogged a month ago and the gas cap passed the pressure test at the smog station.
I have a code 31 on my exact same truck can you tell me what solved your problem?

Quick Reply: Check engine light, error codes 31 and 17