2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough running after warm up (closed loop operation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Aqua lawns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running after warm up (closed loop operation)

So I bought my first dodge, 01 dodge ram 1500, 5.2 v8. Ran good for 3 weeks now its sitting. Went to start it one day and it ran good until it warmed up to operating temperature, once it did it stalled out. Got it started and it was misfiring, running rough, backfiring, pinging, knocking, all sorts of not normal sounds. Now the truck was taken care of and maintained for atleast 4 years prior to me, I had bought it from my neighbor. I did the test of turning key on/off 3 times and checking codes, I got ones from gasçap, to crank sensor, cam sensor, tps issues, lean mixtures. Now I've done a bunch of searching and noone seems to have found the answer. I've replaced the crankshaft sensor, cam sensor. I'm lost since it runs fine cold, like 20 minutes at idle then completely runs like crap. Could it be fuel filter? Maybe bad thermostat, pcm

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Read the plenum sticky at the top of the page.. Fix all issues related to it and your problems are solved.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.

based on it running ok when cold and bad when warmed up - i'd suspect front O2 sensor.

reset pcm and clear all the codes by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 sec.

as a test, unplug the front O2 and drive it. you'll get a new CEL for O2 malfunction, but it will not monitor the O2 nor go into closed loop mode.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
welcome to df.

based on it running ok when cold and bad when warmed up - i'd suspect front O2 sensor.

reset pcm and clear all the codes by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 sec.

as a test, unplug the front O2 and drive it. you'll get a new CEL for O2 malfunction, but it will not monitor the O2 nor go into closed loop mode.

+1 on both, plus clogging cat...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Aqua lawns

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm going to try the o2 test, if that doesn't work looks like I'll check the plenum gasket. Is this gasket a several day task? From what I understand there will be oil residue in the chamber if gasket is bad correct?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like that. Though over time, most of the oil residue is from the PCV valve doing its job. If it's really bad, you'll see oil build up at the back of the manifold with a mirror thing.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on what has been stated by the other members. And in the future, when you start a thread in the tech section, could you please use a related title. Anyone doing a search for a related problem, isn't going to do a search for "money pit". Thanks, and welcome to DF.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I fixed it....

Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I fixed it....

I know how to do that you know. LOL I just figured the OP wouldn't know where the heck his thread went. Once he replied I was going to tell him I'm changing the thread title.

Quick Reply: Rough running after warm up (closed loop operation)