2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Delete trans lines from radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 AM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
One reason it run's through the radiator, is so the tranny get's up to optimum temp. Too cold and it will not shift to OD (as does too hot). The tranny need's to be a certain temp to operate correctly all around. Depending on where you live, there is such a thing as too cold and too big of an aftermarket cooler. Kind of like too cold of a thermostat.
yeah i know but the tranny shop did it that way after they installed my new tranny after they got it shipped in from the local diesel shop.... cuz apprently the cooler in the radiotor is more restrictive and they said it will work better to by pass it and it'll create better flow and not be hard on my high pressure tranny pump.... but thats what they said and its got a good warrenty on it so im not to concerned yet

Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it seems they need some education in hydraulics. The radiator cooler is not too restrictive - unless it is packed with crud. The pump is designed to push the fluid through the tranny, through the lines to the cooler. The pump works harder to clamp clutches than to flow through cooler.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 AM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the need to go through the radiator to get to the proper operating temp. My 2001 with the factory auxillary cooler came from the factory completely bypassing the radiator.

Quick Reply: Delete trans lines from radiator?