2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake Line Leak Behind Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Jakewag5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Line Leak Behind Fuel Tank

I have a 2001 2nd Gen Ram, Club Cab SLT.
I have just now sprung the ever too common leak behind the fuel tank and just have a few questions as I start into replacing/repairing it.

My original plan was just to remove the section of line that runs behind the fuel tank and use compression fittings to join it with the old line. That is what I've seen other people say on this forum but I'm worried about doing that because it's illegal and supposedly not a good long term solution.

I went to the local Advance the other day and picked up two 3/16" brake lines 60" long, I think I'll need longer line to reach from the fitting by the rear axle to the fitting under the front driver door.

Is there a way I could just combine those two that would be legal and safe. Or is the only way to replace the old line entirely with a long brake line ordered online?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need a double flaring tool and a tubing bender, and the fittings to match. No compression fittings. Replace the entire line, not just part of it.

You can probably still order the whole line from the dealer, not too expensive actually.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

+1 on replacing the entire line. otherwise you will most likely be in the same boat right after you replace the 1 line. i would also agree that you may want to pick up a whole roll of brake line and double flaring tool. i have yet to replace just 1 brake line. the moment you replace 1 brake line you usually end up blowing 1 or more other brake lines. may also need new rear wheel cylinders if you can't break the bleeder screws open.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Never use compression fittings on a brake line, they are not capable of withstanding the pressure brake systems operate at.

If you can't find a single peice of line long enough, use a flare union. Parts store should have them on the shelf.

replace as much of the line as you can. If it looks questionable, yank it.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Jakewag5

Thanks guys, I will replace the whole line.

HeyYou, What's the difference between a flare union an a compression fitting?

And if I can't use a flare union what's the best place to pickup a long enough line? Anyone know the exact length for a 01 ram club cab?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Jakewag5
Thanks guys, I will replace the whole line.

HeyYou, What's the difference between a flare union an a compression fitting?

And if I can't use a flare union what's the best place to pickup a long enough line? Anyone know the exact length for a 01 ram club cab?

You can't get the exact length. So you have to use 2 lines (with the correct size fittings on them) as close as possible to the original tube length. And use the flare union to connect them to each other. As Heyyou stated.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you can usually get a whole roll of brake line and fittings at the parts store for less than $20. while there you may also what to ask them what the coated line costs. i know i can get brake line with special coating that is suppose to make it last a bit longer for an extra $5.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you can usually get a whole roll of brake line and fittings at the parts store for less than $20. while there you may also what to ask them what the coated line costs. i know i can get brake line with special coating that is suppose to make it last a bit longer for an extra $5.

I'm thinking he doesn't want to buy a flare tool. Or the tube bender for that matter.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Jakewag5

My dad actually already has a flaring kit and bender. So I'll go try and find a union at the store.
Thanks again

Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Jakewag5
My dad actually already has a flaring kit and bender. So I'll go try and find a union at the store.
Thanks again
"double" flare kit.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Line Leak Behind Fuel Tank