2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end Tow points?No hooks?Any input would be very appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
MegaJamBox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end Tow points?No hooks?Any input would be very appreciated...

Well got stuck this weekend while on a job and had to wrap a chain around the passenger frame rail and ended up pulling a cab mount....

So i'm posting this to ask anyone who has ever had this problem as where they go to hook a strap up and they'res nothing too hook it too in the front end..

I've looked into getting tow hooks but heard they are not that strong and only rated for 5000 pounds so i'm trying to fab up something better.
So I have now pulled my front bumper off to try to find a way to make a front end tow point. Was thinking of welding a square piece of tube across to each frame rail but not sure.
Just wanted to know you're input and suggestions.
The tow points would need to be rated for At least 12k since whenever I get stuck its when I have my dump trailer attached and that will add around 4-10k Plus the trucks weight. So i'm trying to put some serious thought into it any input would be great as i'm only 17 and just got the truck 6 months ago.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I crawl up under the front and thread a chain through a hole in the front frame whenever I pull someone out

Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 PM
MegaJamBox

Huh I feel as if I did that I'd either rip threw the frame or end up bending something...

Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
dman12323
Veteran

Thats alot of weight right there. Do you think this tow hook would work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FW3ZQgodT3IAxw

Im guessing you could weld your own reciever holes and everything custom to the front. I was thinking 2 on the left side of the frame and 2 on the right for extra resistance. However the question is where would you mount them at. Im sure someone who has done this before has towing hooks can pitch in better than I can. And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by dman12323; 04-02-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM
MegaJamBox

Finally got one pic to upload that was when I was stuck...

Attached Thumbnails Front end Tow points?No hooks?Any input would be very appreciated...-burried_zps7e9b2fc6.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
MegaJamBox

Originally Posted by dman12323
Thats alot of weight right there. Do you think this tow hook would work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FW3ZQgodT3IAxw

Im guessing you could weld your own reciever holes and everything custom to the front. I was thinking 2 on the left side of the frame and 2 on the right for extra resistance. However the question is where would you mount them at. Im sure someone who has done this before has towing hooks can pitch in better than I can. And welcome!
Hey thanks for the input, Yeah Ive looked into something like that but the only thing I was worried about it pulling the bottom of the frame apart where they would bolt in at but maybe i'm just over thinking it. Just really want to come up with something where I could pull on it and not have to worry about bending the frame or pulling something out..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to DF Mega! Bummer you had to come here on account of a ripped off body mount though.

First, it'd help to know what specs of the truck you are talking about. Engine, 4 or 2wd, tires, gears, tranny, etc. They don't all have the same weight rating, which is going to be one of the key issues here.

2nd, there isn't anything wrong with using front tow hooks provided they have sufficient rating AND are installed properly. The one linked to is not a bad one. It's weak point is only as bad as the installation. That one would need to be installed on the bottom of each frame rail with bolts. Sleeves would need to be put through the frame to be welded.

Here is a picture of the factory ones, which only came on Offroad Edition trucks, however they will mount to any other 2nd Gen Ram.

Name:  photobucket-3648-1343266185759.jpg
Views: 6580
Size:  167.1 KB

If you think the rating is too low....then hook BOTH of them up. They do hold up very well from personal experience.

(put your flamesuit on just in case)

For future scenario things to consider and this is being said w/o know what your truck, but I'm going to bet it's a 1500. If you are really looking at 10K load, then that requires commercial license from what i recall from other threads around here. Surely someone will correct me on that. At 17 do you have a commercial license?

Do you know the max tow rating of the 1500? 2500?

Yes you can incorporate an additional cross member within the front frame horns. I've done that with my custom bumper and it remains bolt on with a 12K winch. Here are a couple pics to show a few aspects:

One end that integrates to the front cross member

Name:  photobucket-1778-1341117443786.jpg
Views: 5996
Size:  60.0 KB

Looking from underneath

Name:  photobucket-1119-1341443195464.jpg
Views: 7098
Size:  70.9 KB

Finished product

Name:  photobucket-8740-1354203550166.jpg
Views: 6319
Size:  93.0 KB

or you can buy an already made bumper

Next time, unhook the trailer. or better yet....reduce the load of the trailer.

If you have to hook up again, then take the tow strap and wrap one around each frame rail, just behind the front cross member. Have it come down and to the front. Use another one on the opposite side. Bring together at center to attach a 3rd strap. This will be your most solid attachment as well as safe. Only casualty will be the bumper.

Another option is using 2 straps again and looping around the axle. I'd do it close to the inner C on the inboard side. Attach to the 3rd strap in the center. You are square, have a good line of sight, and the load will be directly through the axle and 4 control arms.

These are less than ideal options but are better than the body mount.

ps. get a photosharing account like photobucket or imageshack or whatever. upload your photos there, then use the auto generated links to post here.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the front end of the frame is a little bit weak and doesn't have enough cross member support to randomly yank on it.

you either need a receiver hitch or steel bumper that ties it together, or a set of factory type tow hooks that tie it together and reinforce it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-brackets.html

DodgeOffRoad was interested in building a factory type bracket, but i don't think he got any takers here. if you're interested, contact Danny over there.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
MegaJamBox

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Welcome to DF Mega! Bummer you had to come here on account of a ripped off body mount though.

First, it'd help to know what specs of the truck you are talking about. Engine, 4 or 2wd, tires, gears, tranny, etc. They don't all have the same weight rating, which is going to be one of the key issues here.

2nd, there isn't anything wrong with using front tow hooks provided they have sufficient rating AND are installed properly. The one linked to is not a bad one. It's weak point is only as bad as the installation. That one would need to be installed on the bottom of each frame rail with bolts. Sleeves would need to be put through the frame to be welded.

Here is a picture of the factory ones, which only came on Offroad Edition trucks, however they will mount to any other 2nd Gen Ram.

If you think the rating is too low....then hook BOTH of them up. They do hold up very well from personal experience.

(put your flamesuit on just in case)

For future scenario things to consider and this is being said w/o know what your truck, but I'm going to bet it's a 1500. If you are really looking at 10K load, then that requires commercial license from what i recall from other threads around here. Surely someone will correct me on that. At 17 do you have a commercial license?

Do you know the max tow rating of the 1500? 2500?

Yes you can incorporate an additional cross member within the front frame horns. I've done that with my custom bumper and it remains bolt on with a 12K winch. Here are a couple pics to show a few aspects:

One end that integrates to the front cross member

Looking from underneath

Finished product

or you can buy an already made bumper

Next time, unhook the trailer. or better yet....reduce the load of the trailer.

If you have to hook up again, then take the tow strap and wrap one around each frame rail, just behind the front cross member. Have it come down and to the front. Use another one on the opposite side. Bring together at center to attach a 3rd strap. This will be your most solid attachment as well as safe. Only casualty will be the bumper.

Another option is using 2 straps again and looping around the axle. I'd do it close to the inner C on the inboard side. Attach to the 3rd strap in the center. You are square, have a good line of sight, and the load will be directly through the axle and 4 control arms.

These are less than ideal options but are better than the body mount.

ps. get a photosharing account like photobucket or imageshack or whatever. upload your photos there, then use the auto generated links to post here.
Yea just read that whole article on front bumpers, I think im gonna fab up a front bumper for my truck since my buddies got a metal break. definetely gonna spend some time on it..
And just for the record its a 1998 2500 v10 reg cab truck is rated for 8800gvw and 26k is the max you can tow without a cdl license, Have comercial plates on truck. So I am all legal.... Thanks allot tho for all the input really making me think on this Im actually going to buy some metal today and probably going to try to fab something up will get pics up tonight.
Just really ticks me off on why the heck didnt dodge put factory tow hooks on it...

Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because Dodges don't get stuck!!! Duh... hahaha

Quick Reply: Front end Tow points?No hooks?Any input would be very appreciated...