2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Timelord83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headlight Issue

My 98 1500 ram has been a problem child... one thing after another. My newest issue is no high beams. the parking lights the dimmer and the cargo light work perfect but no high/low beams. I checked all the fuses and they are good and there no melted wires or burnt plastic smell and the headlights worked 5 hours ago.. Did i break the pull out switch? How can i check at the switch what should be what. I have found that there are two kinds of headlight switch and they are not sure when they got swapped out.. ANy idea how i can ID what type i have? i have to work till 10pm the next two nights i need any help i can get to try and get it fixed by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the switches are notorious for burning/melting. get a new switch, and replace it, and be done with it.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

After a little "House Of Pain" style repair aka i beat the **** outta the switch The headlights are back but they only came back after i tried to switch from low to high beams.. now both low and high work and the switch without question.. what do you think the issue might be? also has anyone comapred the wiring diagrams from the older pull out style headlight switches to the turn style switch on the newer ones? i hate that damn pullout.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

I would have a look at the wiring on both switches..... got tilt wheel? That tends to pull the wires out of the connectors. (wiring too short.)

Haven't looked at pinouts though.... may have issues mounting the new style switch though, the dash was completely redesigned.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea, pull the switch out and unplug it from the harness. Inspect harness and back of switch.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are those Sport headlights in that truck, two bulbs per headlight? If yes look to see how the two extra bulbs they have been wired in. If they have just been spliced into the existing harness I would rewire and use relays for them. As posted check/replace the switch.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

Solved was my plow light control box.. for some dumb reason they mounted it under the battery box so when i put a new battery tie down on i ran the bolts into the edge of the box and cracked it must have had a temporary short and when i was yanking beating and pulling on stuff i must have freed it up becuase its been problem free ever since the switch is perfect no damaged wires.. I think i just tripped the check that makes the light control box think the plow lights where plugged in and it stopped putting juice to my normal lights.. I moved the box to the fender wall and lets hope i never have that problem again.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Timelord83
Solved was my plow light control box.. for some dumb reason they mounted it under the battery box so when i put a new battery tie down on i ran the bolts into the edge of the box and cracked it must have had a temporary short and when i was yanking beating and pulling on stuff i must have freed it up becuase its been problem free ever since the switch is perfect no damaged wires.. I think i just tripped the check that makes the light control box think the plow lights where plugged in and it stopped putting juice to my normal lights.. I moved the box to the fender wall and lets hope i never have that problem again.
Wow, I was going to suggest checking out the plow light harness, as I just had an issue similar but slightly different than your's. Mine was a bad fisher harness going to the driver side headlight.

Quick Reply: New Headlight Issue