2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Virgil2U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter housing

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.2 L engine and when I bought it the air filter housing was missing and I was able to pick one up at a junk yard but I was not able to find the clamp that holds it down to the throttle body. I went to another junkyard and saw another motor with a filter housing like mine and it was clamped down to the throttle body but the guy at the boneyard said that the motor was a 5.9 and that the clamp would not work on my 5.2 saying that I was needing a spacer or something that went between the air filter housing and the throttle body because the housing was sitting up in the air and not laying down all the way on the throttle body. Can anyone verify this as I have looked at a mopar tech manual and it does not show a spacer like he had said for my engine.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

He was full of hot air I think. There is no spacer between the air filter housing and the engine. The 5.2L and 5.9L engines for 2001 used the same air intake to my knowledge (I used to have a 2001 with the 5.9L V8).

For future reference on where to post new threads:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

I will move this one for you.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. Same part. Don't know if local parts store would carry it.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

X2. The guy is either full of **** or doesn't know what he's talking about. The filter assembly is the same between the 5.2L and 5.9L. There is NO spacer.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Virgil2U

I want to thank everyone for their input and I am sorry if I had not posted the question properly. I had searched extensively on how to post but could not find any information except to click on the submit button and did it. I was able to find a clamp yesterday at a junk yard which I will give the name if it is ok, Grays in Mt. Orab, Ohio. At first when I got there the man in charge said that they did not have anything like what I was needing and had given me some zip ties to try and hold down the housing to the throttle body and when me and another fellow there had tried to do this one of the employees had seen us working on the truck and came over and did not like the set up we had and then said that they had a Jeep with the same motor and went back to the place and got the clamp off of it and then brought it to me and he put it on himself for me and they did not charge me anything for the clamp. I got it for free so I guess you can't beat that deal. Now I have to go to Autozone and get the air cleaner mounting gasket for it which is only $1.69 and I should be good to go. Again thanks everyone for your help and replies.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

We were all new at one point, don't worry about it. Thank you for taking the time and coming back to post a resolution to your thread, we appreciate it!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
guzman
Professional

Its good to hear you found what you needed and someone who gave a **** to help you out plus at no charge. Good people are hard to find so keep them on your go to list.

Quick Reply: Air filter housing