2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help!!!!! Dodge intermittently will crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd try replacing the coil. Needs a good strong spark.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
DustinPilcher
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try coil by that doesn't explain the fuel pressure.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A shot in the dark I know, but it could be causing the ASD and or fuel pump relay(s) to shut down.(of course if that happens there should be no pressure at all) Two bad fuel pumps is hard to accept.(anything is possible I suppose)Other than that, get the service manual from the FAQ section and start tracing and testing wire's. Another thought, is make sure the hose from the hard line to the fuel rail is not pinched or damaged in any way. That goes for the rest of the line (as someone has mentioned) for that matter. Might want to lower the tank and check that end of the line also. Maybe it got pinched when the tank was raised into position.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 PM
DustinPilcher
Amateur

Update. Well i went out to start the truck saturday night and the truck would crank but not start. The fuel pressure gauge read only 20 psi. I couldn't get it to increase no matter how long i cranked. So I went to carquest and bought a Carter fuel pump and installed it. And right away 52 psi. The truck started right up after the new pump was installed. I drove the truck all day sunday and monday and it started great every time.

I left it at the house tuesday while i was at work and as soon as i got home tried to start it and it would only crank, not start. So i felt the ASD relay while my wife switched the key on and i felt the relay click. I checked power to the coil while the engine was cranking and it read 12.4 volts. I pulled the #2 spark plug and it still sparking but it was a yellow spark. I went and bought a new coil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor button. I installed the coil and it still didn't start. I replaced the rest of the tune up parts. The old plugs when removed were soaked with fuel. After all the parts were installed i cranked the truck and after a few seconds it started up. It bothered me that it didn't start instantly but I have decided that it took a second to burn all the fuel out of the cylinders from all the cranking and it never starting.

I have been driving the truck everyday since then and it starts every time. After 4 days of driving the fuel pressure still reads 52 psi all the time. One time this afternoon for the first time it didn't start right up instantly but it did start after probably 4 seconds of cranking. It sounded like it started on like 4 cylinders but after a few seconds it sounded normal. Other then this it hasn't stranded me yet. I really want to give the truck back to owner but i wish I was 100% sure it was fixed. I had built up my confidence in the truck after driving it for 4 days but the weird start a little while ago worries me.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinPilcher
Update. Well i went out to start the truck saturday night and the truck would crank but not start. The fuel pressure gauge read only 20 psi. I couldn't get it to increase no matter how long i cranked. So I went to carquest and bought a Carter fuel pump and installed it. And right away 52 psi. The truck started right up after the new pump was installed. I drove the truck all day sunday and monday and it started great every time.

I left it at the house tuesday while i was at work and as soon as i got home tried to start it and it would only crank, not start. So i felt the ASD relay while my wife switched the key on and i felt the relay click. I checked power to the coil while the engine was cranking and it read 12.4 volts. I pulled the #2 spark plug and it still sparking but it was a yellow spark. I went and bought a new coil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor button. I installed the coil and it still didn't start. I replaced the rest of the tune up parts. The old plugs when removed were soaked with fuel. After all the parts were installed i cranked the truck and after a few seconds it started up. It bothered me that it didn't start instantly but I have decided that it took a second to burn all the fuel out of the cylinders from all the cranking and it never starting.

I have been driving the truck everyday since then and it starts every time. After 4 days of driving the fuel pressure still reads 52 psi all the time. One time this afternoon for the first time it didn't start right up instantly but it did start after probably 4 seconds of cranking. It sounded like it started on like 4 cylinders but after a few seconds it sounded normal. Other then this it hasn't stranded me yet. I really want to give the truck back to owner but i wish I was 100% sure it was fixed. I had built up my confidence in the truck after driving it for 4 days but the weird start a little while ago worries me.
I think a oil and filter change is in order.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM
DustinPilcher
Amateur

I am changing the oil now. Any other comments on why it doesn't sound like it starts strong on all cylinders.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Check connections for your temp sensors. They will be up on either side of the thermostat housing. 98 and newer only have one. Older trucks have two. (one is dedicated for the gauge in the dash)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM
DustinPilcher
Amateur

Ok I need more help. I just returned the truck to owner and nothing has changed. He drove it home and woke this morning and it will not start. He cranked on it for 10 minutes and it never started. He had to drive his wife's car to work. Now it looks really bad I've changed all this and nothing has changed. Anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Need to find out whats missing when it won't start. Spark, or Fuel. (or maybe it is getting TOO MUCH fuel.... or, not enough air.... etc.)

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
DustinPilcher
Amateur

What do y'all think about this link?
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/6lsx...automatic.html

Could this be my problem?

Quick Reply: Need Help!!!!! Dodge intermittently will crank but won't start