2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front axle u joint/hub change gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cad cover comes off with 4 little rusty bolts that like to break.
spray with penetrating oil like pb-blaster or other and let it soak.
break them loose gently and try to avoid breaking them off.

shift collar will slide onto (or off - in your case) of the inner axle half. be sure to line up the shift fork with the collar grooves when reassembling. if any doubt, crank the truck and shift in/out of 4wd to verify the collar locks and unlocks the
passenger side outer axle.

be very gently sliding the axle ends in and out of the axle seals, or you'll be replacing them next and taking it all apart again, which is what our trucks really like - to be taken completely apart over and over.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
cad cover comes off with 4 little rusty bolts that like to break.
spray with penetrating oil like pb-blaster or other and let it soak.
break them loose gently and try to avoid breaking them off.

shift collar will slide onto (or off - in your case) of the inner axle half. be sure to line up the shift fork with the collar grooves when reassembling. if any doubt, crank the truck and shift in/out of 4wd to verify the collar locks and unlocks the
passenger side outer axle.

be very gently sliding the axle ends in and out of the axle seals, or you'll be replacing them next and taking it all apart again, which is what our trucks really like - to be taken completely apart over and over.
well just back in a little bit ago.

I tried the coat hanger, it moved it, but it just kept rolling back out of place... tried the broom stick, same thing. I finally got it to stay toward the rear of the truck (not lined up, just off set to the opposite side), guided axle shaft in, wiggled it a couple times while turning slowly and felt it drop in and it slid into place, all the way in it seems. put the hub on and finger tightened the hub bolts to hold it in place and the axle seems to spin nice, no noises inside that I can hear..

so that should mean that the shift fork and collar grooves are lined up right?

thanks again guys, much appreciated, really is.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
if any doubt, (with front end jacked up) crank the truck and shift in/out of 4wd to verify the collar locks and unlocks the passenger side outer axle.
when cad is locked, with trans in park, when you turn the passenger side front wheel forward, the drivers side should turn backward.

when cad is unlocked, with trans in park, passenger side front wheel will freewheel.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Sorry for another question, probably a dumb one... but the dumbest one is the one not asked I guess.

This is my first 4x4 ram so I'm new to the manual 4wd, I'm use to ford 4x4's so in the above post you said to put it in 4wd, can this be done with the truck not running by chance? I'm bypassing my heater core as well till I get a replacement core, and I'm not done with that so can't start it cause 1 hose is already cut..

If it can be done without tunning then I'll try it as soon as I get home since the front is still off the ground.

EDIT:: just saw the quote said crank the truck...... long day at work, crazy day, so my apologies

Last edited by xplorer82; 04-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can shift into and out of 4WD without it running.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
xplorer82
Professional

That would be great..... But I thought these trucks worked off of the vacuum to engage?

Gonna go out and get that bypass done in case I need to start it for any reason.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

keep it going you're almost done!

Just in case: http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can shift in and out of 4wd without it running, but that only engages the transfer case, not the front axle. For that you"ll have to read the link Wh1t3NuKle provided.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Gotcha, and thanks for the link. Just got out in the garage had to cook the Fam dinner. I'll read it and get to work.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 PM
xplorer82
Professional

well little update in case anyone cares lol. I said screw it and torqued everything down without pulling the CAD to make sure things were ok in there. took it for a ride and no strange noises, got to the driveway and threw it in 4H @ about 5mph and within 3 seconds had 4wd. I went a few feet after shifting back to 2wd and it hadn't unlocked yet so I just stopped and hit reverse and it unlocked right away.

so im glad I bit the bullet and took my chances w/out pulling the cad and possibly breaking them bolts.

now I need calipers/pads and rotors. might get a loaded set if I can find any for a decent price..

thanks again guys, you guys are great!!

Quick Reply: front axle u joint/hub change gone wrong?