2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd tranny for 99 dodge ram 4x4!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
rjtx667
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your transmissions are going bad, and you keep using the same cooler that can get "junk" inside your new transmission and cause issues.

Also if the TV cable is not adjusted correctly it can kill an transmission.

I put a MSaine transmission in my truck last year, he did all sorts of upgrades to it and told me to install new lines and cooler to be safe.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You can flush the cooler as well. Add an external filter, etc.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM
99dodgelady

I bought over-sized tires 2 years ago (not to big,just to fill the wheel wells), a year after I got the last tranny rebuild. I have not had the 'check valve' checked. Don't know too much about trannies, just motors. I read something about the bands becoming loose. Is this a possibility? This truck is only used for my personal use, no towing. I had a 95 dodge ram that was a work horse. I used that for snowplowing and towing lawncare equipment and my son drove that once in awhile and that tranny had 287,000+ miles on it. Gears in the axle are stock, it had a leak once but I cleaned the cover and resealed it and it has been fine ever since.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM
99dodgelady

I will try flushing the cooler next...

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Check valve is in the cooler line going to the bottom fitting on the radiator. There is a DIY in the FAQ section for eliminating it.

That's about the only thing I can think of that would be causing you to eat transmissions so quickly..... Just oversized tires shouldn't have that profound of an effect.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lets start with the most simple, and move on to the most complex.

simple-
you may only need a band adjustment. at 25k since the last rebuild, you're about due for a filter, fluid, and band adjust. can you revisit your last shop for a "diagnosis and estimate" of repair for your slip. ask about a warranty for the repair. as in - don't pay them $100 to service a bad transmission, and afterwards - you still have a bad transmission and they have your $100. usually - the first service and band adjustment is included in the price of the rebuild - to be done at the 12 or 24 month anniversary.

not simple-
assuming that the torque converter was replaced, the first rebuild should have fixed all the major components for the next 100,000 miles.

After that, a minor problem such as a wire, sensor, solenoid, plastic part, etc could have easily occurred, but most of those minor problems would not require a rebuild to correct. more like a $250 repair if done by the same shop that did the rebuild, possibly even a warranty repair if within the first 1-2-3 years, depending on warranty period.

if the torque converter was not replaced, it could easily have caused the second failure.

if the check valve was not removed, or if the cooler and lines were not flushed, that could also cause the early failures. the only other common cause of failure is overheating - either due to lack of cooling (hot running engine and no external cooler), towing (with or without overdrive).

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but how well do you trust the shop(s) you went to. there are a lot of great mechanics all over the world that are very trustworthy, but... unfortunately, not everyone is, and sometimes they'll put in a junkyard transmission and call it rebuilt.

have you revisited the last shop. you only have 25k since that rebuild. i'd start there and ask them to diagnose the problem and estimate the repair. the diagnosis should be free since you are a return customer. if the repair is more than $200, ask them some further, direct questions, like -
1. does this repair require the transmission to be removed, or can it be done while its in the truck. this has a huge impact on time and price, as remove and replacement by itself is several hours. 4+ hours.
2. was that part replaced during the rebuild? shouldn't it have lasted longer? or should it have been replaced?
3. what warranty will i receive for the repaired transmission? will it cover anything/everything, or just the one new part?

if you don't get a good response, put them off with either a direct 'pound salt' or an indirect 'i can't afford the repair', and visit another shop for diagnosis and estimate. don't pay the same shop for another rebuild.

do you happen to be anywhere within driving distance of Charleston, SC. if so, go see Robert Griffin (aka MonteC). stay on the beach for a couple of days, have a good time, get your transmission fixed.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-14-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
lets start with the most simple, and move on to the most complex.

simple-
you may only need a band adjustment. at 25k since the last rebuild, you're about due for a filter, fluid, and band adjust. can you revisit your last shop for a "diagnosis and estimate" of repair for your slip. ask about a warranty for the repair. as in - don't pay them $100 to service a bad transmission, and afterwards - you still have a bad transmission and they have your $100. usually - the first service and band adjustment is included in the price of the rebuild - to be done at the 12 or 24 month anniversary.

not simple-
assuming that the torque converter was replaced, the first rebuild should have fixed all the major components for the next 100,000 miles.

After that, a minor problem such as a wire, sensor, solenoid, plastic part, etc could have easily occurred, but most of those minor problems would not require a rebuild to correct. more like a $250 repair if done by the same shop that did the rebuild, possibly even a warranty repair if within the first 1-2-3 years, depending on warranty period.

if the torque converter was not replaced, it could easily have caused the second failure.

if the check valve was not removed, or if the cooler and lines were not flushed, that could also cause the early failures. the only other common cause of failure is overheating - either due to lack of cooling (hot running engine and no external cooler), towing (with or without overdrive).

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but how well do you trust the shop(s) you went to. there are a lot of great mechanics all over the world that are very trustworthy, but... unfortunately, not everyone is, and sometimes they'll put in a junkyard transmission and call it rebuilt.

have you revisited the last shop. you only have 25k since that rebuild. i'd start there and ask them to diagnose the problem and estimate the repair. the diagnosis should be free since you are a return customer. if the repair is more than $200, ask them some further, direct questions, like -
1. does this repair require the transmission to be removed, or can it be done while its in the truck. this has a huge impact on time and price, as remove and replacement by itself is several hours. 4+ hours.
2. was that part replaced during the rebuild? shouldn't it have lasted longer? or should it have been replaced?
3. what warranty will i receive for the repaired transmission? will it cover anything/everything, or just the one new part?

if you don't get a good response, put them off with either a direct 'pound salt' or an indirect 'i can't afford the repair', and visit another shop for diagnosis and estimate. don't pay the same shop for another rebuild.

do you happen to be anywhere within driving distance of Charleston, SC. if so, go see Robert Griffin (aka MonteC). stay on the beach for a couple of days, have a good time, get your transmission fixed.

+1. And any reputable shop will insist on replacing TC....unless you declined it, and in which case, they usually will not warranty the rebuild.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
99dodgelady

Originally Posted by gdstock
+1. And any reputable shop will insist on replacing TC....unless you declined it, and in which case, they usually will not warranty the rebuild.
TC replaced TWICE. I will start out simple and move up. Anybody get better than 8MPG? Think I have a vacuum leak. Found one in the dash but didnt help the gas mileage.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A burnt up transmission and a blown plenum will cause 8 mpg.

So will 35's with 3.55 gears.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i get 12-13 city and 15 highway.

Quick Reply: 3rd tranny for 99 dodge ram 4x4!