2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS system and Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
olred4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS system and Speedometer

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The brakes felt like they were giving way just before coming to a complete stop and would move forward a couple of feet. I took the fuse out for the ABS/RWAL and the issue is resolved. Now the speedometer is not working. A couple of questions:
Are the two (pulling the abs fuse and speedometer not working) related?

Has any one else had the same issue and pulled the fuse to correct the problem?

If so did you eventually fix it properly and if so, what did you replace in order to get the ABS to work properly?

It is not a big deal to me if it works or not but I would like to sale it and would sale better if it were working.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Rear wheel speed sensor drives the speedo. Also it is used by the ABS system. Yanking the fuse may indeed deprive the PCM of that signal. (I would have to look at the wiring diagrams to be sure......) Plug the fuse back in, see if the speedo starts working. If it doesn't, replace the rear wheel speed sensor, probably solve both problems.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On trucks that have RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti Lock), the speed sensor in the differential does NOT drive the speedo, instead there is a speedo sensor at the rear of the transmission/transfercase. 4-wheel ABS requires input from ABS speed sensor to properly determine speedo.

First fix the ABS issue. Not good to just remove that fuse.

Edit: Check wheel cylinders. If they are weak ABS won't work right.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
rjtx667
Amateur

in mid 98 they changed it where the speedo was driven off the abs sensor.. but yes fix the ABS issue. Sometimes the sensor in the rear dif goes bad, easy and quick fix.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
On trucks that have RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti Lock), the speed sensor in the differential does NOT drive the speedo, instead there is a speedo sensor at the rear of the transmission/transfercase. 4-wheel ABS requires input from ABS speed sensor to properly determine speedo.

First fix the ABS issue. Not good to just remove that fuse.

Edit: Check wheel cylinders. If they are weak ABS won't work right.
According to alldata/somedata, it actually does run the speedo, in combination with the transmission output speed sensor. They run as backup sensors for each other.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
According to alldata/somedata, it actually does run the speedo, in combination with the transmission output speed sensor. They run as backup sensors for each other.

This is true. If you want to confirm, unplug either one....then swap....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
If I unplug the transmission speed sensor my speedo doesn't work even with the ABS sensor still plugged in.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

Like I said, it was according to alldata...I think what may happen is that it uses both those sensors for the speedo, I don't think they actually run as backups for each other, but they run in tandem with each other. So if 1 doesn't work, the signal gets broken and stops sending data.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
If I unplug the transmission speed sensor my speedo doesn't work even with the ABS sensor still plugged in.
You have a 96. Speedo is driven off the sensor on the trans/t-case. Changed in 98.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 AM
zach01
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rear wheel speed sensor drives the speedo. Also it is used by the ABS system. Yanking the fuse may indeed deprive the PCM of that signal. (I would have to look at the wiring diagrams to be sure......) Plug the fuse back in, see if the speedo starts working. If it doesn't, replace the rear wheel speed sensor, probably solve both problems.

i hear everyone say this but when i replaced my rear speed sensor my ABS and BRAKE lights are still on and the brakes will still lock up

Quick Reply: ABS system and Speedometer