2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS system and Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by zach01
i hear everyone say this but when i replaced my rear speed sensor my ABS and BRAKE lights are still on and the brakes will still lock up
You have RWAL, or 4WAL?

There are a few other switches that play a role as well. Brake switch. Ebrake switch, proportioning valve too..... any one of them can trip the lights. As can a fluid leak in the brake system.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
rjtx667
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to see what codes, if any, are on?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
zach01
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You have RWAL, or 4WAL?

There are a few other switches that play a role as well. Brake switch. Ebrake switch, proportioning valve too..... any one of them can trip the lights. As can a fluid leak in the brake system.
you commented on my post a few weeks ago but... i have 4 wheel abs.. with 2 month old front hub assemblys(replaced them thinking that was the problem since the abs sensor are built in) when i did my fuel pump a month ago.. i looked around and didnt see any wet news around the brake lines on the frame well around where the fuel tank sits... and the rear abs sensor is only a week old...

so if i take my truck to a shop and have them hook there million dollar comuter to my truck will they be able to tell me whats wrong or am i just stuck with replaceing parts till i run out of things to change?

i did the key trick and i only get a emission evap leak code but i've had that for 5 years since i bought the truck..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Most parts store scanners won't read ABS codes... at least, around here.... Need to go to a shop that has the right equipment, and see what is really going on. Should tell you what is really up.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM
jham0077
Rookie

On my 98 2500(2WD), the rear wheel sensor turns the speedo/runs the cruise. I just fixed the harness going to it. It was rubbed through on the torsion bar. The transmission sensor went out about two years ago and wouldn't let the tranny shift. The ABS and BRAKE lights have been on for months. The ABS light went out for a few days after I fixed the harness problem but came back on Saturday morning after replacing the right front caliper. I replaced the caliper because of a pull to the right when braking. Which it didn't fix.... I'm at the end of my rope.
And O'Reilly's scanner does nothing for brake codes. Key trick is useless also. Way to go Dodge on the 98 models.....

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zach01
so if i take my truck to a shop and have them hook there million dollar comuter to my truck will they be able to tell me whats wrong or am i just stuck with replaceing parts till i run out of things to change?

i did the key trick and i only get a emission evap leak code but i've had that for 5 years since i bought the truck..
ABS codes need a proper scanner to retrieve them from the truck pcm. As you have changed out most parts brake related, chances are it's in the ABS system itself, get the codes read, then be ready to drop over $1000 in ABS parts.

Originally Posted by jham0077
On my 98 2500(2WD), the rear wheel sensor turns the speedo/runs the cruise. I just fixed the harness going to it. It was rubbed through on the torsion bar. The transmission sensor went out about two years ago and wouldn't let the tranny shift. The ABS and BRAKE lights have been on for months. The ABS light went out for a few days after I fixed the harness problem but came back on Saturday morning after replacing the right front caliper. I replaced the caliper because of a pull to the right when braking. Which it didn't fix.... I'm at the end of my rope.
And O'Reilly's scanner does nothing for brake codes. Key trick is useless also. Way to go Dodge on the 98 models.....
See above.

Replace the left caliper, it pulls to the right so the left side braking is not working right. I never just replace one caliper I always change them both just for this reason.

Need some cheese with that wine?

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
jham0077
Rookie

Enough cheese already here. Replaced the left about a month or so ago. I have replaced singles and not had issues. Think it's a Dodge thing, and I don't understand.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
zach01
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most parts store scanners won't read ABS codes... at least, around here.... Need to go to a shop that has the right equipment, and see what is really going on. Should tell you what is really up.

yea thats what i ment by the millon dollar computer.. i know the regaular obd2 scanners only read and clear CELs my buddy who owns a shop has one of the computers than read everything thats going on so i guess i'll have to pay him a visit and see if he can help me out this weekend.. cuz i'm trying to get my truck all in order and in good runnning shape cuz i got a kid on the way and just want everything to work right and be safe if i let the wife drive it

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tear down the left side see what's going on. Have you changed the front brake lines (the flex ones?) They will swell with age on the inside, this will make a caliper not release all the way/sticky/dragging.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
jham0077
Rookie

Will they feel squishy or soft to the push? Could that be the "darkness" floating in the reservoir? Hose linings? The pedal feels "off" to me, but I drive a Chevy(Dodge is the wife's). I gotta figure this ABS/BRAKE light thing out before I turn it over to a real mechanic.

Last edited by jham0077; 04-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS system and Speedometer