2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil spraying out of dipstick???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil spraying out of dipstick???

So I've been chasing a massive oil leak for awhile now on a 96 ram 318 4wd. I thought it was the timing cover so I just got done redoing that and it is still leaking. I would assume this means the engine has severe blow by but I'm not sure. I googled it and google said it could be pcv related but this was for people with a mist not spraying like a fire hose this is a truck I'm doing for a friend and they just really need it to run but its spraying atleast a quart in barely a quarter mile from the dipstick. If it is blow by and the motor needs rebuilt/replaced I know this isn't the approved or right method but can I remove the dipstick and jb weld the hole shut just so they can drive it until the motor dies? This truck is not worth putting anymore time and money into and they understand that the motor is a ticking time bomb. Suggestions, comments, and opinions welcome.

Last edited by jpsycoboy5; 04-18-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the PCV valve and the hose going to the intake manifold. Also to make sure the vac port on the intake is not clogged with gunk. DO NOT plug the dipstick tube because with internal pressure like you're describing you will blow every gasket in the engine!

What happens if you remove the oil cap? Does the oil flow stop?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't jb-weld it.

what about attaching one end of a rubber hose over the dipstick and dump the other end into a valve cover vent to at least recapture some of the oil.

what happens if you remove the pvc valve?
does oil squirt out of the valve cover also?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

You have obviously got a major crankcase pressure issue here.

Do like the others suggested, pull the PCV out of the valve cover and see what happens.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpsycoboy5
.....I know this isn't the approved or right method but can I remove the dipstick and jb weld the hole shut just so they can drive it until the motor dies? This truck is not worth putting anymore time and money into and they understand that the motor is a ticking time bomb. Suggestions, comments, and opinions welcome.

OK. So I was struggling with "is this serious, or someone just pulling our leg?"

Yeah, just jb weld the hole shut. In the next 100 miles, the engine will probably just lock up.

Seriously, if they can't afford to fix it and plan on just running it until it dies, why not drive it to a JY and sell it. They'll get a little less if it is not running, and then cost to tow it. Get a few bucks and call it a day.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
OK. So I was struggling with "is this serious, or someone just pulling our leg?"

Yeah, just jb weld the hole shut. In the next 100 miles, the engine will probably just lock up.

Seriously, if they can't afford to fix it and plan on just running it until it dies, why not drive it to a JY and sell it. They'll get a little less if it is not running, and then cost to tow it. Get a few bucks and call it a day.
I was very serious but like you guys said I was worried it would blow all the other seals. Anyways I'll remove the pcv valve and check that out and let you guys know

Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I've been chasing a massive oil leak for awhile now on a 96 ram 318 4wd. I thought it was the timing cover so I just got done redoing that and it is still leaking. I would assume this means the engine has severe blow by but I'm not sure. I googled it and google said it could be pcv related but this was for people with a mist not spraying like a fire hose this is a truck I'm doing for a friend and they just really need it to run but its spraying atleast a quart in barely a quarter mile from the dipstick. If it is blow by and the motor needs rebuilt/replaced I know this isn't the approved or right method but can I remove the dipstick and jb weld the hole shut just so they can drive it until the motor dies? This truck is not worth putting anymore time and money into and they understand that the motor is a ticking time bomb. Suggestions, comments, and opinions welcome.
I was very serious but like you guys said I was worried it would blow all the other seals. Anyways I'll remove the pcv valve and check that out and let you guys know

You have to relieve the pressure, or it will blow out somewhere else. And consuming oil that quickly, it will lock up. Start with PCV and also check plenum. Too much air getting into crankcases and it has to get out.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

I know you guys hate when people don't post their solutions up anyways it was the big metal valve that hooks to the air cleaner I can't remember off hand what its called but when I pulled it was filled with nasty milky oil slime like when you have a blown head gasket and the oil and coolant mix. Anyways I just went to napa and got one of the little air filters that go in the valve cover and problem solved. I'm also pretty sure this caused the timing cover gasket to blow out the lower studs on the cover we just over finger tight from the last time it was done by my friend. Oh well I'll post up pics later on.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

OMG!! Had the owner ever done any maintenance on his engine?? Sometimes you have to be smart enough to do something other than put in gas and drive!!

Quick Reply: Oil spraying out of dipstick???