2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exhaust and Intake System
Print Wikipost

High Idle After New IAC Valve + TPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
RangerRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle After New IAC Valve + TPS

My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 v6 has been idling very high. It also kept throwing a check engine light. I had the codes pulled and was told it's the idle control. I replaced the IACV and it fixed my having to give it gas to keep it from dying issue. But... now it idles way too high. Like ridiculously high. My check engine light stayed on as well. I had the codes pulled and again it says idle control. I went and bought a tps today and replaced it. And I thought this would fix my problem, however it didn't. It's still idling super high and my check engine light won't go off. Any ideas? Perhaps I have the IACV or TPS tightened too much? I'm at a lose here. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it comes to sensors alot of the times with these dodges brand matters... what kind did u put on it? and also did u reset the computer when you did it? unhook the battery and leave it be for like 10 mins and then put it back on so the computer resets. but also high idle can be caused by vacuum leaks. did u unhook a hose or anything?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 PM
RangerRay

Both IACV and TPS are MasterPro Ignition. It's all Auto Zone carried. Also, the engine has been hissing VERY loud. I mean loud. It sounds like it has a vacuum leak but I don't know where to start to find it and fix it. It sounds like it's coming from around the throttle body more towards the alternator. I also had to buy a new air box housing because my old one had pieces cracked out of it. The new air box came off of a v8 and didn't have an additional spot for this one hose to connect to. But the hose doesn't seem to blow nor suck air from it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to just put it aside. It's been hissing way before I replaced the air box though.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Did you replace the gasket between the air box and throttle body? There's only a few hoses that connect to the intake, see if one came off. When you pulled the throttle body to replaced the IAC you are required to replace the throttle body gasket.

The hose your talking about, does it go to your valve cover? If so I'd suggest replacing the air box with the correct one, or pulling the hose and plastic piece at the valve cover and replace it with an open air breather like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=859686_0_0_
You don't want dirt or bugs crawling up the hose and getting on your valvetrain and in the oil.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM
RangerRay

Okay, well turns out there is a spot for the hose to fit on. It's just on the back side of the box unlike my old one. I just didn't see it this whole time. (Big duh on my part) I re-adjusted the box onto the throttle body and got it a lot tighter. All hoses connected this time. I turned the truck on, and I instantly noticed the hissing was a little quieter. The intake felt like it was getting much more suction now then before. However, it idled fairly normal for about 12 seconds and then kicked into a high idle again like before. Also when I replaced my IACV I didn't take the throttle body off. I just reached back behind it and unscrewed the two T27 screws and replaced it. I even tried tightening my throttle body mounting bolts as they seemed a tad loose. However after all of this, it still kicks into that high idle after a few seconds. When I put it in drive or reverse, the truck jerks bad.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery while changing out sensors? If not, then just disconnect it for about five minutes, and try it again.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
RangerRay

Yes the computer has been reset multiple times. The truck still idles extremely high after being turned on for like 12 seconds. In Park and Neutral it idles high. In Reverse or Drive it idles just right.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Maybe still have a vacuum leak? Did you clean out the IAC well REALLY erm.... well?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Might not be the issue, but the new sensors are a junk brand. And the negative battery cable should have been disconnected FIRST, before cleaning or replacing any sensors. Get OEM Mopar or at the least Standard Motor Products brand.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
RangerRay

I'm going to try cleaning the IACV port really, really good. It's hard to get through being behind the throttle body, so I may not have cleaned it good enough when I replaced the part. If that doesn't do it, I'll take my throttle body off and clean it thoroughly. I may need a new tb gasket. If all else fails, I'll get a better brand of IACV.

Quick Reply: High Idle After New IAC Valve + TPS