2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: exhaust

Where did you get your system on Ebay? I have been looking for a system on Ebay too.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 AM
01ramclassic
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

I disagree on that... true dual will open up the exhaust and let the motor produce as much hp as it can. the more air flow, the more HP it can make. it all depends on what your after and what rpm range you use your motor.
I don't mean to disagree but if I am right, someone correct me if I'm wrong, newer model trucks need a certain amount of backpressure to run correctly. If there is not enough then the performance is hurt.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Ram_sport96
Professional

my advice? Go with Gibson. I started out with a 2.75" 2 chamber flowmaster system. I also don't like the duel look because of the exhaust hanger issued that was previously mentioned... so I had a turn down put on it.... SOUNDED GREAT... loud and deep at idle... and tough at WOT... 0 performance gain. I now have a 3" Gibson single pipe set up and it has given me a more power and better fuel mileage... not NEAR as loud. Good rumble at idle and nice deep throaty sound up to about 2250 RPM... quiets down a bit after that... but I have enjoyed it as an exhaust mod.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: 01ramclassic

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

I disagree on that... true dual will open up the exhaust and let the motor produce as much hp as it can. the more air flow, the more HP it can make. it all depends on what your after and what rpm range you use your motor.
I don't mean to disagree but if I am right, someone correct me if I'm wrong, newer model trucks need a certain amount of backpressure to run correctly. If there is not enough then the performance is hurt.
yes and no... it all depends on what you want out of your motor. if upper rpm HP is what your after than you'd want less backpressure. here's a good writeup on the krc website... http://www.krcperformance.com/newcon...stpopular.html that tells a little about some performance mods and another http://www.krcperformance.com/newcontent/duals.html that talks about dual exhaust and the pros and cons on them. have a look.

if your truck is a 4x4 or used for hauling of any kind, you'd want the backpressure to help build more torque (smaller outs on the exhaust). if your after high end hp, then open it up.

my truck is sorta in the middle right now... the motor breaths really well thru 5k rpms... but how often does it see it? ... (ok, often) but it's the low end torque that provides the most benifit in terms of off the line performance and fuel economy. I'm looking for a new intake (kegger) that is stock so I can bring back some low end tq and hopefully improve on the 14 mpg hiway I currently get.

one other thing... you can change how a motor performs by changing the air filter as well... just like the exhaust. open the exhaust too much, loose low end torque. open the intake side too much, same thing. (I have 2 filters to mess with this is how I know...) [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use mufflers I like Flowmaster mufflers personally. For the Cat I would either run a Magnaflow High Flow cat or not cat but do that at your own risk. I would run 2.5" piping through out the system. If you do headers I would look into Edlebrock.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
DodgeRamMaNv8

I have a 1999 5.9 v8 and when i bought the truck, it had a flowmaster on it. Honestly i dont know what exactly it is, but i want to make it sound better/louder. Ive heard about the 40 series. Any good? or any other suggestions? Id like to stick with Flowmaster however

Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
dodgestud98

I just put a flowmaster series 40 on my truck today 2.5" in and 2.5" out it sounds alright it isnt as nice sounding as i though it would be.

Quick Reply: exhaust