2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Leak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Timelord83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak.

Ok, this has been driving my 100% nuts. I replaced the power steering pump last year because it up and died with the plow on the front, and ever since its had a leak. I just assumed I messed up the low pressure line and well I've finally got around to replacing it and its still leaking.. Well after replacing all the lines and the power steering cooler and cleaning all the fluid up.. I think the Power steering pump itself is the leak. That's when i noticed I have a red rubber plug on the back.. Should that be a bolt? I mean i Have both my lines connected but i have an extra hole with a red plug in it.. I don't remember that hole being on my original power steering pump but as it was a core thing and i brought my dead one in when I got the new one i'm not sure anymore.. Any help guys? I'll post a picture when I get a chance but if your looking at the back of the pump its to the left of the threaded line.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you tried tightening the plug?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Are sure it's from the pump? A common leak spot is the pitman seal on the gearbox. Mine leaks at that spot.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
Have you tried tightening the plug?
its not a threaded plug its just a push in red plastic thing.. you'll see in the picture below

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Are sure it's from the pump? A common leak spot is the pitman seal on the gearbox. Mine leaks at that spot.
yes the gearbox has stayed clean the whole time. the pump is soaked and it leaks so bad now that it runs down the cross-member and leaks from the middle of the truck.

here is a picture of the plug.. and it won't stay all the way in that's why i think its the culprit i have to keep pushing it back in.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

May be just a mounting bolt hole that dodge didn't use......

Spray everything off to get it nice and clean, have someone else start the truck, and turn the steering lock to lock, see where the fluid is coming from. Take it from there.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Timelord83
Rookie

Just read the DIY of the power steering pump in the DIY section and those red plugs i mentioned are supposed to be filled with the bolts from my old power steering pump. As i never saw the new pump box they just just pulled the pump out and put my old one in the box I never got instructions on what to do with those. SIGH.. now i get to goof around finding bolts that fit it. Or a trip to the junk yard to find me a factory set.

once i get the leak all cleaned up whats the best way to deal with all the fluid that all over a rag doesn't seem like its going to do the job.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Low pressure washer, with a nice mild solvent.

Or, several cans of brake cleaner.... (has the advantage of evaporating off quickly)

Engine heat will probably bake it off eventually.... but, that smells terrible.....

Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM
rdrourke

How do you replace the pitman seal on the gearbox for a 2000 Dakota V6. I believe I am leaking from there. 106K miles on the truck now.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Easiest if you just remove the gearbox to do it... but, pull the pitman arm, remove old seal. (good luck with that...) put in new seal, reinstall pitman arm. Seal should be just pressed in... if it isn't, then you will HAVE to remove the box, as the pitman shaft will need to come out.....

Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrourke
How do you replace the pitman seal on the gearbox for a 2000 Dakota V6. I believe I am leaking from there. 106K miles on the truck now.
If the steering box is similar to the RAM, check out this thread for more info:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...l-leaking.html

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak.