2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help and some Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM
colemank37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help and some Info

Just purchased a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 for $2,200. It is in excellent condition except for a few things here and there. It's got 165,800 miles on it. The previous owner stated to me that it uses a little oil and that he has been running 10w40 Havoline in it. The engine overall is in great condition except:

Air Filter: I found that it had the original Air Filter in it. When I took it out, it crumbled into a million pieces. I have no clue if any debris got down into places it should not be. What should I do?

Spark Plugs: I took the plugs out and once again, they are the original factory plugs. I think it calls for a Champion Plug in the Manual but, I have always used the premium Bosch Plugs in my previous trucks. Would the Bosch Premium Plugs be a wise choice now?

Plug Wires: I purchased the Autolite Premium Plug set to install with the Bosch Plugs.

I called the previous owner, he is an older guy that bought the truck Brand New, used it on his Farm, drove it to town, which is only 3 miles up the road. He said when he retired in 2009, he parked the truck in the Barn and it has been there, out of the weather and heat since I purchased it 2 weeks ago.

What steps besides the above questions should I take from here?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to the 2nd gen Ram section. Those rockin dudes can surely help you out.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Don't waste money on the rare-earth plugs. Some standard autolite 3923's will work just fine, and our trucks like them better.

Vacuum out any debris from the filter you can get. It's only paper, so, anything you can't get will likely just burn off, and go out the tailpipe.

Check out the plenum sticky at the top of this forum. Chances are, that's where your oil is going.

Only use a PCV valve from the dealer, they are less than ten bucks, and actually have the correct flow rate.

May be time to replace front O2 sensor as well.... make sure your plenum is good first though.

Welcome to DF!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would also be a good idea to seafoam the truck too - get a can and put half in the brake booster vac line (slowly!) and the other half in the gas tank. There's vids on YouTube of how to do it. And yea don't waste your money on some fancy pants spark plugs, I use some regular Ngk vpower plugs and my truck likes those but the autolites will be good too. Might want to consider pulling the throttle body off and cleaning that too.

Quick Reply: Need some help and some Info