2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump hose routing & repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:56 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Pump

Originally Posted by this_guy
Hello. I've just started to work on our 1997 Ram 1500 truck. I've got lots of issues, but the first is leaking fuel. Please take a look at the picture below. I marked the fuel lines 'A' and 'C', then dropped the tank.. The line marked 'B' is no where to be found. I didnt even see it until I had the tank out. What is it and where does it go!? Also, the 'A' line off the pump had a 90degree elbow that cracked off. Might have been the source of the leak, but I dont know for sure. Can anyone recommend a kit, advice, etc. for how best to put all this back together? I'm guessing there are some flexible hoses with the proper connector for the fuel pump, then just hose clamp them to the hard lines? Can I get the plastic tank pressure tested to make that wasnt leaking? Again, any advice, recommended parts sources, etc, is appreciated.
I had the same problem breaking off the fitting on the fuel pump line to the pump, went to Dodge to price a new line and I think it was under $100 but no longer made, did not want to install a used one so I found a fitting at Advance Auto, installed a new HPressure Fuel injection hose and the fitting and its been working fine for a couple months. If you need a part # I can find it for you if you message me or I will dig for it tomorrow after work and post it unless you have the problem solved by then. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:42 PM
this_guy
|

If you could find the part number, that would be really helpful.

Old 05-22-2013 | 03:16 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Doorman

The Part # is 800-121 from Doorman, this is just the part that goes onto the fuel pump inlet, kind of a nipple. I had to cut off the old hose where it mates to the steel line, its kind of glued on. I used double clamps on both ends and fuel injection hose. If I remember correctly I also cut about 1/2 inch or so off the Dooman nipple because of clearances with the frame. It says on the package that it is a "Steel Body fuel line connecter" for Ford..GM...and Dodge. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump hose routing & repair-dsc00824.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013 | 07:23 AM
this_guy
|

Yes, that helps a lot! Thanks for finding that part number and the explaination.

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:20 AM
this_guy
|

I actually called Doorman the other day and their phone "tech" couldn't verify any of their products would fit. I'm gonna buy the 800-121 and the 800-059 today (the-059 has the 90 bend and the nylon tubing). I'll report back on here if the 800-059 fits and clears the frame. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Old 05-23-2013 | 05:55 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Doorman

Sounds good, hope the 90 degree angle one works and if so I will buy one for a spare. Good Luck!!

Old 05-31-2013 | 06:51 AM
BradLittlefield
Amateur

Originally Posted by guzman
The Part # is 800-121 from Doorman, this is just the part that goes onto the fuel pump inlet, kind of a nipple. I had to cut off the old hose where it mates to the steel line, its kind of glued on. I used double clamps on both ends and fuel injection hose. If I remember correctly I also cut about 1/2 inch or so off the Dooman nipple because of clearances with the frame. It says on the package that it is a "Steel Body fuel line connecter" for Ford..GM...and Dodge. Hope this helps.
Bringing this back from the dead (at least it was this year.. and not like.. 2008) -- This part was to replace the connector going to "A", yes? I re-read the OP a couple times to figure out what part he broke off... and it sounds like A to me. My connector on A is leaking like a frigging sieve, and I hope this part is what you replaced! Though, mine is at a 45 degree angle, not straight or 90. I replaced the lines with flexible fuel injector hose, so it shouldn't be a big deal. -- Did you have to remove the blue plastic piece that actually clips into this connector to allow the new one to quick connect to the filter assembly?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump hose routing & repair-img_20130531_064901_925.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013 | 06:15 PM
guzman
Professional

Yes I had to remove that piece from the fuel pump as mine broke on the nipple area, then replace with the Dorman part and new FI hose going back to the steel line.

Old 06-01-2013 | 03:34 PM
this_guy
|

Yes, it was the A connector that broke off. Below is a picture of the Doorman piece I am going to try. I have not posted an update, cause this is as far as I got. Been very busy, and everything takes twice as long without the truck. Just cant seem to get free&non-raining time to get back to it. I took off the quick connect holder from the A connector (the little plastic holder) and connected the new piece to the A connector. Snapped right on, seems correct, but I have not pressurized it yet, so I cant say one way or the other if its gonna work.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump hose routing & repair-doorman.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013 | 08:08 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Dorman

That looks good....Does it come with the rubber hose on it? That piece would be the 800-059?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump hose routing & repair