2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering problem.. need advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
kpd1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problem.. need advise

hey everbody im new to the forum here figured it be a good place to get some help. i have a 2000 ram off road and it gives little no no assist at idle. i broke the shaft of the previous power steering pump (by my own doing) so i replaced it with a remanufacured unit. the problem with the steering did not go away. im curious to whether the factory pump is just underpowered for my slighty larger tires 285 70 17 or my gear is going out. theres no signs of air in the lines or leaking. kinda stumped. any help would be awesome

Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it have the right power steering fluid? Not ATF+4 as some used to suggest because that gives no assist at idle. I would know because its in mine lol

Tires shouldn't be a problem. People run giant tires and never complain about the pump

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

How long ago did you replace the pump? Anytime a new or remanufactured pump is installed on a truck, it will typically experience some air in the steering lines. I recently installed a new Borgeson power steering box and it took several lock to lock turns of the steering wheel to get the air out of the lines and for the steering to work properly. As was stated, larger tires (285/70/17) are not an issue for the power steering on these trucks. I'm running 285/75/16s with no issues whatsoever..

Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
kpd1234

i replaced the pump in mid january, i left the cap off of the reservoir and bumped it back and forth up against the stops and have done so a few times since then so i dont think there is any air in the lines it isnt making any noise either. I used atf 1 in it, and i thought the same thing ik ppl running much larger tires than me and the have no problems. im thinking its gotta be the gear getting weak but idk.. id hate to put in a new gear and it turns out not to be the problem

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Since you had the issue with the first pump and still have the issue with the second pump, it sounds like you are going to need a replacement steering gear box.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Does it have the right power steering fluid? Not ATF+4 as some used to suggest because that gives no assist at idle. I would know because its in mine lol

Tires shouldn't be a problem. People run giant tires and never complain about the pump
Oh, really? You must have another problem then, because mine has about 90% ATF4 in it and it works just fine and dandy.
Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Since you had the issue with the first pump and still have the issue with the second pump, it sounds like you are going to need a replacement steering gear box.
+1
Steering gear sounds like it's on its way out.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM
kpd1234

any suggestions on what gear to go with should i just throw in a factory one or go after market, not looking to spend a fortune. i also hear of ppl using a gear form a one ton chevy which would not only be bigger but cheaper anybody know more about that

Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Since I plan to keep my truck for the long haul, I picked up a Borgeson unit and have been very happy with it. If you are tight on a buck, pick up a used steering gearbox at a pick and pay junkyard - that's likely the most cost-effective option, since installation will require no modifications.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

It's advice not advise... I see way too many people get that wrong.

Don't overlook binding steering components like ball joints, tie rods, steering shaft coupler. Check for low tire pressure or a loose belt. And it couldn't hurt to flush the system and put in the recommended power steering fluid. And it's not impossible that your reman'd pump is bad out of the box or the gearbox is leaking internally, a pressure test will tell you whats going on. Ask your local auto parts store if you can rent one.
If you want a gearbox that will last you the longest go for borgeson or redhead. If you want one that has a decent chance of leaking but is a lot cheaper, go reman'd or junkyard.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 05-29-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a Red-Head steering gear. But as stated, check everything else out.

Quick Reply: power steering problem.. need advise