2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:18 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It might be a rural thing. Grayhound has always delivered goods, I don't think they would still be around if they did not deliver goods to us out in the styx. I can call Napa Lordco or most other parts places and have my parts shipped with them.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

The IAC is certainly a candidate. Let us know if that works.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 AM
jetb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Dog: Will do. NOt sure if any of the parts stores are open tomorrow. If they are, I'll swap it out and let you know as soon as I get it working. IF they have one, I'm going to pick up a block tester as well. I will tear it down if I have to, but I really don't want to! It's just too hard on this beat up old vet to be crawling over and under vehicles!!LOL LOL Otherwise,I'm going to see if I can find a schematic of the vacumm lines/system and the EVAP system and start replacing those "Rob from ya Granny cheap PVC lines. Replace em with rubber ones! I hate those frackin PVC lines! It's probably time anywyas! The truck is in great shape, but it is 15 years old!!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 AM
jetb
Amateur

Stewie: Next time you're toolin down the interstate, keep an eye out for a Loser Cruser towing a trailer behind it! That trailer is full of frieght. Dunno if they do it differently in the Southland, but they're all over the frackin place around here. Heck, I order stuff from the south land all the time and have it sent via Loser Cruser. As far as I know, they've been moving frieght ever since Jimmy Stewart as an air cadet and Christ was a Cowboy!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Yes, Greyhound will ship items, but from what I've experienced, not a huge volume here in this area - more of a niche carrier. I've not seen any trailers being pulled by the 'Hounds, since they run their routes fairly often here and are heavily competing with other bus services (eg: MegaBus). FedEx, UPS, US Postal Mail and DHL are still the biggest parcel carriers.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by jetb
A Dog: Will do. NOt sure if any of the parts stores are open tomorrow. If they are, I'll swap it out and let you know as soon as I get it working. IF they have one, I'm going to pick up a block tester as well. I will tear it down if I have to, but I really don't want to! It's just too hard on this beat up old vet to be crawling over and under vehicles!!LOL LOL Otherwise,I'm going to see if I can find a schematic of the vacumm lines/system and the EVAP system and start replacing those "Rob from ya Granny cheap PVC lines. Replace em with rubber ones! I hate those frackin PVC lines! It's probably time anywyas! The truck is in great shape, but it is 15 years old!!
There is a schematic diag on the rad support from the factory or you can DL the service manual found in the diy area.

Edit: You anywhere close to me?

Just so happens I have it for you. I think yours is a 98 so things might be a bit different from this pix.

Name:  CCF28032010_00000_zps20de8080.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  137.7 KB

Last edited by merc225hp; 06-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM
jetb
Amateur

Merc:

THAnks Man! Preshaded greatly!! Spent the morning crawling around underneath and inside the engine compartment, didn't find any cracks nor disconnected lines!

Parts stores weren't open so I'm FUBAR on the IAC swap.

No I'm livin in the Flat lands. Small city just North of the Cowtown airport! I believe, from the green grass in your pic, that you're on the Wet Coast?? either that or down east in NS??

I'll swap out the IAC and start chasing wires, swap out the vacuum lines as well.

Interesting , I can't recall seeing an orific in any of the vacumm lines at all!! And I've gone through the "Wild Vents" thread. Looks like I'll be pulling the dash back again too!! (I've replaced the heater core a year ago!!)

I took it out last evening for a run around town (all low speeds- around 50 klicks) and went to Timmie's for a coffee. It did the same thing three times. Soon as I stop for a light or brake down to slow down it goes into that Monkey Motion. I've found that if I stop, shut the thing off, for about 30 seconds to a minute, it'll start right up and run ok, until the next time I stop or slow down so the RPM's drop off. SO, I'm kinda leaning towards the IAC. But with my luck it's probaly something else.

Anyways, I'll grab an IAC, and a block tester tomorrow and see if it shows anything. I'm going to replace all the vacuum lines anyways. I've already had to replace the lines to the CAD - used windshield wasker hose! That's the only size that would fit the nipples on the damned thing!

I'll keep y'all informed of the results!!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
merc225hp
Champion

You are about 6hrs east of me, Sicamous, BC is where I am at.

What spark plugs are in this motor?

The Orifice?? If you mean the check valve its up on the pass side of the intake, small round thing, you can see it in this pix right below the wot linkage.

Name:  IMG01916_zps264df62d.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.7 KB

Last edited by merc225hp; 06-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM
jetb
Amateur

Yeah. The one that comes off the P side of the Throttle body. In the schemetic they call it a check valve with orifice. There's no manifld orifice on mine either. Just went out and looked! Just a big PVC vacuum hose that plugs into the throttle body with a straight rubber adaptor on it. On mine, the PVC valve runs to the air intake, and there's no crankcase breather. And mine doesn't have an EGR valve either. If it's there, it's invisible. I can't find one. I believe, and I stand to be corrected, Dodge didn't put them on the 97-98's. My brother has a 97 and I didn't see one on his when I replaced the O2 sensors in his!! The TOP photo applies to mine, my is considered a light duty. Even though it has those big honkin springs on it!

I'm in Airdrie, Alberta!! I try to stay outa BC. I don't like the mountains!! I get clastrophobic!!! LOL LOL LOL

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Correct - your 5.9 Magnum should not have an EGR valve on it - if it did, it would be mounted on the rear of the intake towards the passenger side, along with a metal tube that connects to the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: 98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9