2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
^^^ The GrayDog delivers damn near anything within reason, I get parts shipped via Graydog all the time, Campground supplies and truck parts.
Op good luck today with your planned work.
Perhaps GreyDog is different from GreyHound? GreyHound is a passenger bus line.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:13 AM
jetb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zman: Swapped out the plenum pan and gasket - Put the Hughes kit in. Fired the thing up and it was GREAT!!!...for about 3 minutes!! it started farting and burping again, misfiring in idle! Idle wandered a bit. No check Engine light. I did the odometer check , and started it up again and got a P1297 - No change in MAP from start to run. Cleared the code and ley it idle for about half and hour, and it idled great. Took it for a run (about 12 Klicks) and it seemed to be ok. Checked for codes again, nothing there!

Guess I'll do as A Dog suggested and start swapping sensors!! Besides the Inductive pick-up, crankshaft position sensor, the O2 sensors ( all of which have bbeen changed with new) what other sensors should I be looking at besides the Throttle position sensor and the MAP sensor??

Stewie- I get stuff shipped by Loser Cruser all the time. They don't deliver to the door, but they've always called me when it gets in town. I go pick it up.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Disconnect front O2 sensor, See if problem goes away.

Make sure the port for the map sensor is clear...... TB gets rather dirty.... if it has some crap in it, might give you some odd symptoms......

Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
jetb
Amateur

Hey You: Cleaned the throttle body while I had the plenum off.

Not sure which one is the front O2 sensor on this truck. I bought the truck without the CAT on in. It has a dual exhaust system on it and the CAT was turfed when it was installed.

Hobbling to the salvage yard to rob sensors today. FRACK!! Sure ain't easy on the body trying to crawl around a truck at my age!!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Front O2 is one closest to the engine...... There should be two under there..... which means two connectors as well.... make sure they are plugged into the correct connectors..... otherwise, PCM gets really confused.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 PM
jetb
Amateur

hey You: yeah, I got that, Thanks! Installed NEW MAP sensor AND TPS sensor. Drove it, doing the same thing!! Disconnected the left O2 sensor drove it. Does the same thing, Connected the left O2 sensor and disconnected the right, drove it, does the same thing! Connec t the right O2 sensor and parked it!! FRACK!! I'm stumped! It's NOT buring/using oil, and it's NOT losing antifreeze!! I checked all the vacuum lines when I had the plenum out. They're all good. Did the cigar "smoke test" didn't se anything coming out anywhere!

This is some weird monkey motion , sheeeeeettttt!!

Any other suggestions??? I'm fixing to pull the engine and tear it down!! FRACK!!

I'm still gettina P1297 code though!!

Last edited by jetb; 06-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Wonder if you have a fuel pump/regulator acting up? Also, when you replaced the distributor cap and rotor, was there any side to side play in the distributor shaft?

When you have a moment, can you please update your profile with your vehicle information and your general location?

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-01-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
jetb
Amateur

A Dog: I would but I haven't a clue!! I'm a computer idjit!!

Mine's a 98 Dodge 1500 4 x 4. 3" lift, 5.9 with the Spectre intake. No other mods.265 tires. And I live in the Land of The Chosen Frozen!! ( Canaduh!)

No, no play at all in the distributor. It's a really weird scenario, sometimes I can drive 300 miles and never get a hiccup. Other times it goes into that monkey motion!! As far as it stands right now, the only sensor I haven't replaced with new is the IAC!! I'll buy and swap that one out Monday - just so I know that all the sensors are new!!

At this juncture, I'm thinking it maybe the timing chain/gears but on the other hand, this SNAFU is an intermittent thing!! So basically, I'm spending money on parts like a drunken sailor, and groping in the dark!!

Then again it could be a cracked head or a FUBAR head gasket, I'm NOT sure, BUT as I said, it's not burning/using oil and it's not swallowing Anti-freeze! But if this keeps up, I'll seriously look at tearing the engine out and rebulding it, replacing every frackin vacuu, line I can get at!! FRACK!!

Last edited by jetb; 06-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Perhaps GreyDog is different from GreyHound? GreyHound is a passenger bus line.
Same thing lol.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Same thing lol.
Than you guys have me confused. Since when does GreyHound deliver parts?

Quick Reply: 98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9