2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

put a pretty generous bead of rtv around the diff cover, and go around each bolt hole. use a putty knife or your finger and spread it out all nice and even. let is sit for about 5 minutes and glaze over.

wipe the case clean and dry one last time with a paper towel or rag with a shot of brake cleaner and let it evaporate off, then put your cover on and start each bolt. i like to put a dab or rtv on each bolt. i don't remember if the bolt holes go all the way through or not, assume they do and need to be sealed.

tighten snug (that means where it won't turn anymore w/o force), then plus about 1/16 - 1/8 turn. you're looking for 35 pounds of torque which is not much, and those bolts are LITTLE, so choke up on your wrench or ratchet and don't use any excessive force.

allow the rtv to cure for about an hour before adding the oil.

its hard to explain what 35 pounds of torque is. i'll try it again. instead of putting your whole hand on the wrench and twisting away. put one finger on the end and pull it tight. that's about 35. (and the rtv will hold the bolts in).

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 PM
abdodge1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay thanks for everything, ill be going through with this when I can get the extra $$.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot imagine not having a torque wrench. I have 3 for a wide range of bolts. May want to start saving up for these as they are critical for some jobs....or to do some jobs correctly....

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Question