2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stopped cranking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Have you checked to see if you have spark at the coil? If no spark there than work back to the dizzy cap.

You said ignition module and than ignition coil, so I'm not sure what you changed...
I meant coil for both.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thinking out loud - w/o an expensive scan tool - can you test to determine if the ASD is being tripped. does the pcm put a signal on, or take a signal off the ASD relay or some other measurable point?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 PM
safrantz
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
so - no spark at the spark plugs when grounded or with spark plug test cable?

if not - then:
dist cap
rotor
coil
coil wiring
crank position sensor
(hey-you says cam position sensor is not involved in lack of spark)
ASD relay or ASD event
pcm wiring
pcm

--any other possibilities to lack of spark at the plug?

Ill have to check more tomorrow. Raining hard right now. Got my other truck that's down at the moment in the middle of my carport and the debris of my kitchen reno in my garage...

Any suggestions to get at the rotor cap easily? That thing is back there!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

put a piece of plywood across both fenders and lay on it.
raining cats and dogs over here too.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
safrantz
Professional

put a piece of plywood across both fenders and lay on it.
raining cats and dogs over here too.

Yeah, I'm not having challenges with leaning into the bay, just getting my hands under the cowl and then back behind the engine... may have to take apart more than I want to... I need to find a flow chart of how the spark system works... I think I know off the top of my head... but I'd rather be able to trace it back or forwards to save time. Borrowing my buddy's '85 Jeep Cherokee 5spd... but it's still raining here, his wipers don't work, went to pull the lights button, came right off... yeah...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM
safrantz
Professional

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, for several weeks now, my radio has been powering on/off when driving... if I hit a bump, like a pot hole or speed bump, the radio would typically power off... then come back on after another bump possibly... so I'm thinking loose ground somewhere, because I know the hot is good... could a common ground through the truck cause a no spark scenario?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the ground at the power steering pump bracket. thats a quick way to lose spark. been there done that a couple times.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM
safrantz
Professional

Fixed my issue.

Probed the ignition plug, not the disty cap wire, but the two wire plug on the bottom. Grounded it out on the battery. Put the voltmeter against my window to see it while cranking the truck. Wasn't getting my 12v while cranking so it lead me to the engine computer... Checked the 30a fuse in the relay box, looked fine initially, but I popped off the clear plastic tab and the fuse link was barley blown...but enough not to send my switching signal to the ignition coil... I bent the link back together for test purposes, cranked the first try. Voltmeter read the 12v I needed. No idea why it blew... Aside the short in the radio I have. Ill have to trace it down this weekend. Bought an extra 50a fuse in case it blows while driving again. At least that way I can limp it to safety then figure it out. But for now, she's back on the road!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

good work.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
safrantz
Professional

good work.
So I spoke too soon... I've now put 5 fuses in my engine computer slot under the hood. I bought an extra just in case... And guess what... Fuse blew while pulling my trailer. Picked up a 79 hatchback civic to haul back to my place, blew fuses twice more. I pulled the fuses for anything I "modified" while on the road...so that would include ge radio and cig. lighter fuses. I can't think of anything in particular that is happening to cause the fuse to blow... I had the called for 30a in it, blew... Put a 40a... Blew...50a... Blew 3? After tha one to make it home I pulled out a 60a... My buddy put that one in and he said the link inside the fuse almost instantly browned, but didn't blow. I haven't had time to go back and check it...I'm looking for suggestions on where to look for the issue... I would assume probe backwards as the surge has to happen before the fuse...right? Or could I come from either direction as a surge? Does it have to be a surge, could it be a grounding issue? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Engine stopped cranking while driving