2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stopped cranking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stopped cranking while driving

So here I sit, in the middle of an intersection because my truck, 1500, 5.2, nv3500, 2wd, decides to stop driving. I was just starting up from yielding to traffic to make a left turn, as I accelerated my engine stalls out, still have power, won't crank to get out of the way. A nice fellow pulled me out of intersection to a side street, which is where I am currently. I've experience a start, no crank like this before and it was my Crank Position Sensor. I have no tools on me, but a buddy is headed this way... Anything to check in the mean time? I've got gas, engine temp about 180, oil pressure good, no leaks, no smoke, no pop when it happened. It felt like it would if I let the clutch out in too high a gear and stalled. It's only 95° out today and I'm wearing winter like attire due to my work environment. This is awesome. Suggestions welcome.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
safrantz
Professional

Sitting here in this miserable heat, I can't remember if the oil gauge jumps up while cranking? Checked the oil and it is low, but I was just driving, but I'm wondering if it got too low and my gauge is out or my gauge is accurate and I'm not getting oil pressure...or there's a lack of oil. In short, oil gauge needle is on 0 at the moment. I know it used to stabilize after cranking...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Sounds like the crank sensor took a dump. What brand did you get last time around? Getting spark? Fuel?

If you crank it long enough, it *might* build oil pressure, and should show on the gauge. Eventually..... Won't be a lot of pressure though, as you aren't cranking anywhere near even idle speed.

When your bud gets there, see what's missing.

Do you hear the fuel pump running while cranking?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 PM
safrantz
Professional

Headed back with the trailer and my buddy. I didn't think to check for the fuel pump winding up as the way it cut out on me reminded me too much of stalling out when I shift poorly. And it didn't sputter to a stop as if it lost fuel, but ill check. We did take off a ignition wire to try and ground it out but we didn't have a screw driver or extra plug to test, so there may not be spark. I'm still leaning towards the CPS. It was an advance auto parts sensor. Being that I was a GM there a year ago, I should remember haha.

Well, lets see if this 1985 AMC Jeep Cherokee 2.8l will tow the trailer and truck!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
safrantz
Professional

Changed sensor. No luck. I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and it sounded like it wanted to turn over. My buddy had to leave so hopefully the wife can crank the truck while I'm checking if additional starter fluid would help. I assume I have spark since it tried to turn over. Depressed the shrader(sp?) valve on the fuel rail, plenty of pressure and fuel.... At a loss now.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM
safrantz
Professional

Looks like weak or lack of spark. Off to AAP for an ignition module. Anything else that could cause no spark? Worn rotor button and cap? I guess worse case the distributor?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM
safrantz
Professional

Changed ignition coil, no luck. No spark. Anyone have ideas? No CELs either.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked to see if you have spark at the coil? If no spark there than work back to the dizzy cap.

You said ignition module and than ignition coil, so I'm not sure what you changed...

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Sensor under the dist cap is cam position sensor, doesn't have any effect on if you have spark or not. Will effect injector pulse though.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so - no spark at the spark plugs when grounded or with spark plug test cable?

if not - then:
dist cap
rotor
coil
coil wiring
crank position sensor
(hey-you says cam position sensor is not involved in lack of spark)
ASD relay or ASD event
pcm wiring
pcm

--any other possibilities to lack of spark at the plug?

Quick Reply: Engine stopped cranking while driving