2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering column mounted radio controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Fiero Guy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column mounted radio controls

Hey folks,

Thanks to the existence of this forum, I was able to help my mechanic properly diagnose the torque converter problem my truck was having. After putting in a new TPS I'm back rolling smoothly!

Since that was a known issue with the truck, I'm wondering if anybody can help with another?

My 2001 1500 QC Sport Off Road has the steering column mounted radio controls....but they don't work.
Also, the key "halo" doesn't light, and I wonder if that's related?

Anybody ever have or know of any issues in the column that would cause this?

JD

Old 09-25-2005, 11:32 PM
cantloseon22s
Default RE: Steering column mounted radio controls

does the cruise control work? it could be a blown fuse. or a short in one of the wires.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

yep, all cruise buttons work, and the horn works
forgot to mention that.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 AM
joepro

if im not mistaken the radio controls and the cruise controls are on two seperate plugs going into your column.. could be dirty plug or like was mentioned.. blown fuse.. but more likely a wire going into the plug has been shoved back where it isnt making contact.. hope that helped.. joe

Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

or some schmuck at the dealer swapped in a NON radio control radio and your stuck..

Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

yeah, this is a hand-me-down company truck, and the guy that I got it from (when it had 155k on it) didn't even know the radio buttons were there! The original window sticker says it has the options, I'll have to check around for some plugs under the dash. The backlight of the headlight switch has gone intermittent now too so that's another excuse...

Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thats weird.... i put in an aftermarket stereo and there wasnt a need for my steering weel buttons... so i tapped into that harness and wired them to roll my windows up and down and to turn on my underbody neons on and off and i got 2 more bottons to use and not sure what i want to do with them... its pretty slick... i confuse alot of people when i the ride with and i roll there windows down with out them seeing me touch my drivers side dooor for the stock controls... hehehehehehehe wicked smat!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
RedRocket

Hey fiero guy, how was your truck acting up with a bad torque converter? what did you have to do to diagnose it? I suspect a little trouble with mine, any help would be much appreciated.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RedRocket

Hey fiero guy, how was your truck acting up with a bad torque converter? what did you have to do to diagnose it? I suspect a little trouble with mine, any help would be much appreciated.
at speed the torque converter would unlock for just a second or two, and then lock up again, bouncing the RPMs up and then back to normal. Sometimes it would happen a few times every mile. I knew it wasn't ignition or anything because the RPMs were bouncing UP. Took me a while, and thanks to searching this forum, I found out the TPS was providing a bad (noisy) signal, that the computer was translating as me tromping on the gas, and so it would unlock the converter. Long story short, new TPS = a MUCH smoother ride and actually nearly another 3 MPG on the highway according to the overhead computer.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

here's another related question.

Are the cruise control buttons on the wheel supposed to be backlit?

Quick Reply: Steering column mounted radio controls