2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C System Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
SparkMasterB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SOLVED] A/C System Diagnosis - Didn't have relay plugged in.

EDIT: DERP. Totally forgot I removed the A/C relay so the compressor would not turn on with the system empty.... I'm still going to replace the accum though. Verified it's a good idea to replace it.

This sub forum seems to get more action than the Tech Help forum so I'm posting this here. I've got an issue with my A/C.

My A/C system has been empty since the winter (everything hooked up, just not charged).

Today I went to charge it and ran into a problem. It holds 28-29 inches of vacuum just fine. I let it sit for about 35-40 minutes and the needle didn't budge, so no leaks. As soon as I opened the valve for the first 12 oz. can low and high pressure went to 70PSI. Its as if the lines were clogged.

I think that since it was sitting the accumulator is bad. IIRC I was told that if an A/C system sits unused for a while its a good idea to replace the accumulator.

I released some pressure (down to 50psi) and still no go. The compressor will not kick on. It worked fine last fall before I had the system emptied.

What is wrong? Compressor? Accumulator? If the compressor isn't turning on, can I jumper the connections to get the compressor to switch on?

Last edited by SparkMasterB; 06-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that the orifice tube would clog before the other parts going bad man. its a part that literally sits right inside you low pressure line. most the time it will be right where it connects to the accumulator. sometimes they put it down by the condensor. its the most commmon thing to clog.

Quick Reply: A/C System Diagnosis